Pronger on retiring on his own terms: ‘Very, very few people get a chance to do that’

Mar 6, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT

Details are beginning to emerge from Chris Pronger’s exclusive interview with Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy and, given what the 38-year-old rearguard had to say, he may very well have played his last NHL game.

“Everybody wants to go out like a John Elway where he wins two Super Bowls and is able to retire on his own terms,” Pronger said. “Very, very few people get a chance to do that.

“I’m comfortable with where I’m at in the game and my place within the game, and what I’ve been able to accomplish. I don’t have any regrets. I played the game to the best of my ability and the best I knew how.”

The full interview will air in two parts beginning on Wednesday on Sportsnet’s Connected. Part two will air Thursday.

Here’s a teaser:

Pronger is currently on Long Term Injury Reserve, meaning his $4.94 million cap hit is off Philadelphia’s books. Because he signed his deal over the age of 35, retiring would mean the Flyers would be on the hook (cap-wise) for the entirety of the seven-year, $34.55 million deal signed in 2010.

That deal is set to expire at the end of the 2016-17 season.

For more on Pronger and his current situation, check out the Sportsnet website.

Related

Pronger discusses future in interview

Pronger shows improvement, “doing better” after doctor visit

Latest Posts
  1. Ducks clinch Pacific Division title

Apr 2, 2015, 12:46 AM EDT

Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry Getty Images

Easily handled the Edmonton Oilers on Wednesday.

2. Malkin out day-to-day with ‘slight injury’

Apr 1, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT

Evgeni Malkin AP

Pittsburgh lost to Philadelphia on Wednesday.

3. Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night

Apr 1, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT

pens_flyers Getty Images

Started off well for Pittsburgh, but got worse from there.

4. WATCH LIVE: Avalanche at Sharks

Apr 1, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT

Both desperately need wins to stay alive in playoff race.

5. Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career

Apr 1, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT

Getty Images

He’s having a “down year,” apparently.

6. ‘My first reaction was, oh my God, my eye is gone,’ says Detroit’s Miller

Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT

MillerFace2

Red Wings forward reflects on Tuesday’s scary skate cut incident.

7. Voynov trial pushed back, again

Apr 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Sasha Voynov Sasha Voynov

Kings defenseman also suffered a ruptured Achilles.

8. WATCH LIVE: Flyers at Penguins on Rivalry Night

Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT

crosbygirouxgetty Getty Images

Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.

9. After eight-game absence, St. Louis back for Rangers tomorrow

Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT

New York Rangers v Tampa Bay Lightning Getty Images

He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.

10. Sharks send Goldobin to AHL Worcester

Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT

Nikolay Goldobin Getty Images

Has been playing in Finland this season.

11. Numbers suggest Ducks are playing much better hockey

Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT

John Gibson, Francois Beauchemin, Cam Fowler, Simon Despres AP

Certainly better than they were in February.

Can anything stop Tampa Bay?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches