Mar 6, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT
Details are beginning to emerge from Chris Pronger’s exclusive interview with Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy and, given what the 38-year-old rearguard had to say, he may very well have played his last NHL game.
“Everybody wants to go out like a John Elway where he wins two Super Bowls and is able to retire on his own terms,” Pronger said. “Very, very few people get a chance to do that.
“I’m comfortable with where I’m at in the game and my place within the game, and what I’ve been able to accomplish. I don’t have any regrets. I played the game to the best of my ability and the best I knew how.”
The full interview will air in two parts beginning on Wednesday on Sportsnet’s Connected. Part two will air Thursday.
Here’s a teaser:
Pronger is currently on Long Term Injury Reserve, meaning his $4.94 million cap hit is off Philadelphia’s books. Because he signed his deal over the age of 35, retiring would mean the Flyers would be on the hook (cap-wise) for the entirety of the seven-year, $34.55 million deal signed in 2010.
That deal is set to expire at the end of the 2016-17 season.
For more on Pronger and his current situation, check out the Sportsnet website.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 4
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)