Mar 6, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT
Details are beginning to emerge from Chris Pronger’s exclusive interview with Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy and, given what the 38-year-old rearguard had to say, he may very well have played his last NHL game.
“Everybody wants to go out like a John Elway where he wins two Super Bowls and is able to retire on his own terms,” Pronger said. “Very, very few people get a chance to do that.
“I’m comfortable with where I’m at in the game and my place within the game, and what I’ve been able to accomplish. I don’t have any regrets. I played the game to the best of my ability and the best I knew how.”
The full interview will air in two parts beginning on Wednesday on Sportsnet’s Connected. Part two will air Thursday.
Here’s a teaser:
Pronger is currently on Long Term Injury Reserve, meaning his $4.94 million cap hit is off Philadelphia’s books. Because he signed his deal over the age of 35, retiring would mean the Flyers would be on the hook (cap-wise) for the entirety of the seven-year, $34.55 million deal signed in 2010.
That deal is set to expire at the end of the 2016-17 season.
For more on Pronger and his current situation, check out the Sportsnet website.
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 27
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)