Mar 6, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT
Details are beginning to emerge from Chris Pronger’s exclusive interview with Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy and, given what the 38-year-old rearguard had to say, he may very well have played his last NHL game.
“Everybody wants to go out like a John Elway where he wins two Super Bowls and is able to retire on his own terms,” Pronger said. “Very, very few people get a chance to do that.
“I’m comfortable with where I’m at in the game and my place within the game, and what I’ve been able to accomplish. I don’t have any regrets. I played the game to the best of my ability and the best I knew how.”
The full interview will air in two parts beginning on Wednesday on Sportsnet’s Connected. Part two will air Thursday.
Here’s a teaser:
Pronger is currently on Long Term Injury Reserve, meaning his $4.94 million cap hit is off Philadelphia’s books. Because he signed his deal over the age of 35, retiring would mean the Flyers would be on the hook (cap-wise) for the entirety of the seven-year, $34.55 million deal signed in 2010.
That deal is set to expire at the end of the 2016-17 season.
For more on Pronger and his current situation, check out the Sportsnet website.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 32
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 90
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)