Mar 6, 2013, 12:50 PM EST
Details are beginning to emerge from Chris Pronger’s exclusive interview with Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy and, given what the 38-year-old rearguard had to say, he may very well have played his last NHL game.
“Everybody wants to go out like a John Elway where he wins two Super Bowls and is able to retire on his own terms,” Pronger said. “Very, very few people get a chance to do that.
“I’m comfortable with where I’m at in the game and my place within the game, and what I’ve been able to accomplish. I don’t have any regrets. I played the game to the best of my ability and the best I knew how.”
The full interview will air in two parts beginning on Wednesday on Sportsnet’s Connected. Part two will air Thursday.
Here’s a teaser:
Pronger is currently on Long Term Injury Reserve, meaning his $4.94 million cap hit is off Philadelphia’s books. Because he signed his deal over the age of 35, retiring would mean the Flyers would be on the hook (cap-wise) for the entirety of the seven-year, $34.55 million deal signed in 2010.
That deal is set to expire at the end of the 2016-17 season.
For more on Pronger and his current situation, check out the Sportsnet website.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)