Mar 6, 2013, 7:14 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
If the New York Rangers and/or Los Angeles Kings fail to make the playoffs, it could potentially be a huge victory for the Columbus Blue Jackets thanks to the new draft lottery system. (Toronto Star)
Even though New Jersey Devils goaltender Johan Hedberg was pulled in the second period of Tuesday’s game, he will start in his seventh straight contest on Thursday. Martin Brodeur is still day-to-day with a back injury. (New Jersey Online)
Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Paul Martin took part in Tuesday’s practice, but he isn’t sure if he’ll be available on Thursday. The 32-year-old hasn’t played since Feb. 28 due to a lower body injury. (Penguins.nhl.com)
Los Angeles coach Darryl Sutter thinks his squad was “awesome” at being the quicker team early in Monday’s contest against the Nashville Predators, even if the Kings only had six shots on goal through 40 minutes. The Kings ended up with just 16 shots on goal, but that’s easy to shrug off when you still win 5-1. (LA Kings Insider)
Speaking of prospects, 20-year-old Mark Stone (broken finger) should be ready to play in his first regular season NHL game in the near future. He made his NHL debut during the 2012 playoffs and assisted on Jason Spezza‘s goal in Game 5 of Ottawa’s first round series against the New York Rangers. (Ottawa Citizen)
St. Louis Blues forward Patrik Berglund has just three assists in 22 games, but that doesn’t bother him much or coach Ken Hitchcock. As Hitchcock put it, Berglund is a shooter, not a playmaker, although he could improve when it comes to distributing the puck during rushes. (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
Before Tuesday’s game, the Detroit Red Wings talked about how they were feeling confident despite their recent lack of goals. Then they justified those feelings with a 2-1 victory over the Colorado Avalanche. (Detroit Free Press)
Here are the highlights from the New York Rangers’ 4-2 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Mar 11, 2014, 2:26 AM EDT
It was mostly a night of disappointments
Mar 11, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
“We need to be men.”
Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
It just keeps getting worse.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:29 AM EDT
It’s an MCL injury, according to Patrick Roy.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
It’s also his first point since Jan. 10.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
At least they have Ales Hemsky.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
The Stars say he’ll undergo extensive testing.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Washington carried much of the play.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Both teams have games on Tuesday.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Lindy Ruff says he’s OK.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He was last seen at practice in Saginaw, Mich.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon slides into his center spot vs. Winnipeg.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 10, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Dallas seems to be a good fit for the 22-year-old former Bruin.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We have to keep scoring goals. We have to keep playing this way,” said Adam Henrique.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
He meant he doesn’t want to be traded.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Fire up the comments section!
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)