Mar 6, 2013, 1:34 AM EDT
Maybe the Los Angeles Kings are taking the old line “it’s not how you start, it’s how you finish” a little too seriously.
On Monday night, the Kings managed just six shots on goal (one successful) in the first two periods before exploding for four goals in the third to bury the Nashville Predators 5-1. Despite back-to-back games, the Kings saw an even more dramatic turnaround on Tuesday, flipping a 4-1 St. Louis Blues lead* early in the second to a 6-4 win. Four of those last five goals came in the final frame.
In a way, those games have been a microcosm of the squad’s 2013 season (or really the last two campaigns).
Since starting 3-5-2 with some rather ugly games, the Kings have won nine of 11 games starting on Feb. 11. In hindsight, one might call the bumpy beginning of 2013 a Cliff Notes version of their 2011-12 struggles.
Perhaps it only makes sense that last season’s late trade bounty Jeff Carter has factored heavily into this rejuvenation, then. While he didn’t match Monday’s natural hat trick, Carter was one of the goal-scorers, maintaining momentum that parallels his team’s torrid run.
That leaves Los Angeles at fourth place in the West with 26 points (but one more win than division rival San Jose). If this cold-hot trend continues with another Cup win or two, we might end up calling the Kings “the procrastinating dynasty.”
* – Tuesday had one other momentous comeback. The Washington Capitals stormed back from a 3-0 deficit to beat the Boston Bruins 4-3 in OT.
Aug 27, 2014, 10:49 PM EDT
Of course, neither will be wearing a Sabres’ uniform – not yet at least.
Aug 27, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
They’ve also appointed Don Sweeney as the AHL team’s new general manager.
Aug 27, 2014, 8:28 PM EDT
It matters given that they will start next season with a largely unchanged roster.
Aug 27, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Ken Holland hasn’t been in contact with him lately, but that will change soon.
Aug 27, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
He hasn’t played for them since 2007.
Aug 27, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
It’s a two-way deal.
Aug 27, 2014, 3:47 PM EDT
Mr. Hockey still reigns supreme in Detroit.
Aug 27, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
“I haven’t heard that.”
Aug 27, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
“We haven’t defined a process and certainly no decisions have been made.”
Aug 27, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Needs to bounce back after last year’s disappointing campaign.
Aug 27, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Finished second in the NHL among forwards last year, with 87.
Aug 27, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
Former Quebec league sniper is gunning for a gig in Detroit.
Aug 27, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Former Tampa Bay forward was bought out of his contract earlier this summer, following legal troubles.
Aug 27, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
The Red Wings are rebuilding on the fly, but are they assembling a future Cup contender?
Aug 27, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
He’ll enter the second season of his seven-year, $36.75 million contract.
Aug 27, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
They have made it to the playoffs for 23 straight seasons.
Aug 26, 2014, 10:51 PM EDT
He’s the former face of the franchise.
Aug 26, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
A recent report has added new fuel to the speculation on that subject.
Aug 26, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Dupuis and Hornqvist are two of the main options.
Aug 26, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
Will they go another season without one?
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)