Mar 6, 2013, 1:34 AM EDT
Maybe the Los Angeles Kings are taking the old line “it’s not how you start, it’s how you finish” a little too seriously.
On Monday night, the Kings managed just six shots on goal (one successful) in the first two periods before exploding for four goals in the third to bury the Nashville Predators 5-1. Despite back-to-back games, the Kings saw an even more dramatic turnaround on Tuesday, flipping a 4-1 St. Louis Blues lead* early in the second to a 6-4 win. Four of those last five goals came in the final frame.
In a way, those games have been a microcosm of the squad’s 2013 season (or really the last two campaigns).
Since starting 3-5-2 with some rather ugly games, the Kings have won nine of 11 games starting on Feb. 11. In hindsight, one might call the bumpy beginning of 2013 a Cliff Notes version of their 2011-12 struggles.
Perhaps it only makes sense that last season’s late trade bounty Jeff Carter has factored heavily into this rejuvenation, then. While he didn’t match Monday’s natural hat trick, Carter was one of the goal-scorers, maintaining momentum that parallels his team’s torrid run.
That leaves Los Angeles at fourth place in the West with 26 points (but one more win than division rival San Jose). If this cold-hot trend continues with another Cup win or two, we might end up calling the Kings “the procrastinating dynasty.”
* – Tuesday had one other momentous comeback. The Washington Capitals stormed back from a 3-0 deficit to beat the Boston Bruins 4-3 in OT.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay needed a strong start like this.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
Just one appearance in this series.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Tough to argue with this two-way trio.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
One Game 7 and one team hoping to force another.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Tom Stillman did say “I’m sure there’ll be changes” following another first-round playoff defeat.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Expected to make full recovery within 4-6 weeks.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Former Maple Leaf and Red Wing appeared in over 1,200 career games, winning five Stanley Cups.
Apr 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were each asked if they’d be willing to waive their no-trade clauses.
Apr 27, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
Flames head coach Bob Hartley confirmed the decision on Monday.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Tournament will be a big one for the Flyers forward.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:17 PM EDT
Thus ending the Scott Darling era… for now.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
New building could open by the fall of 2017.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Diminutive forward left Game 5 after taking a shot to the helmet.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
Tournament begins May 1 in the Czech Republic.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Interference aside, Tampa Bay has had no shortage of power-play time.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:52 AM EDT
Referees Dan O’Rourke (No. 9) and Dan O’Halloran (No. 13), linesmen Greg Devorski (No. 54) and Michel Cormier (No. 76).
Apr 27, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
Pittsburgh has a lot of cap space tied up in two players.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
Washington makes a lineup change in advance of Game 7 versus the Isles.
- Kronwalled: Red Wings D levels Lightning’s Kucherov 5
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 14
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)