Mar 6, 2013, 1:34 AM EDT
Maybe the Los Angeles Kings are taking the old line “it’s not how you start, it’s how you finish” a little too seriously.
On Monday night, the Kings managed just six shots on goal (one successful) in the first two periods before exploding for four goals in the third to bury the Nashville Predators 5-1. Despite back-to-back games, the Kings saw an even more dramatic turnaround on Tuesday, flipping a 4-1 St. Louis Blues lead* early in the second to a 6-4 win. Four of those last five goals came in the final frame.
In a way, those games have been a microcosm of the squad’s 2013 season (or really the last two campaigns).
Since starting 3-5-2 with some rather ugly games, the Kings have won nine of 11 games starting on Feb. 11. In hindsight, one might call the bumpy beginning of 2013 a Cliff Notes version of their 2011-12 struggles.
Perhaps it only makes sense that last season’s late trade bounty Jeff Carter has factored heavily into this rejuvenation, then. While he didn’t match Monday’s natural hat trick, Carter was one of the goal-scorers, maintaining momentum that parallels his team’s torrid run.
That leaves Los Angeles at fourth place in the West with 26 points (but one more win than division rival San Jose). If this cold-hot trend continues with another Cup win or two, we might end up calling the Kings “the procrastinating dynasty.”
* – Tuesday had one other momentous comeback. The Washington Capitals stormed back from a 3-0 deficit to beat the Boston Bruins 4-3 in OT.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
He’ll join Norfolk on a PTO.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Senators still scheduled to host the Maple Leafs tonight.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Flyers-Blackhawks game.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
“I think if the authorities act properly and do a complete investigation, they will have to find that charges are not warranted.”
Oct 22, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
With second division outfit EV Landshut.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
It would have been an incredible goal.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Canucks coach Willie Desjardins fought against the idea that Dallas got lucky last night.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Maybe this is what Philadelphia needs.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:56 AM EDT
Yes, there was a goaltender in net.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
“We’re not sharp mentally.”
Oct 22, 2014, 1:40 AM EDT
Wonder if the Devils fan behind him was a face-painter?
Oct 22, 2014, 1:11 AM EDT
Had the lead going into the third period.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT
Do a little dance. Make some big saves. Shut out tonight.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT
Toronto took this one over in the second period.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Is a call from the league next?
Oct 21, 2014, 10:54 PM EDT
David Desharnais with his first of the season.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
No call on that play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
It’s gone from bad to worse for Vancouver.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Happened on an innocent enough play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Outplayed Philly big time in first period.
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 2
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 16
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 4
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)