Mar 6, 2013, 4:07 PM EST
Stephen Weiss thinks it would be “awesome” to finish his career with the Florida Panthers, but he’s also realistic.
Weiss, a pending unrestricted free agent, spoke with reporters today prior to undergoing season-ending wrist surgery next week. The 29-year-old center who was drafted fourth overall by the Panthers in 2001 recognizes he may have played his last game for the only NHL organization he’s ever known.
“It’s definitely not the way I would have written it if that is the case,” said Weiss, per NHL.com. “It kind of burns at me that this is the way it could be going out, but you know what, that’s life sometimes. You’ve got to deal with the cards you’re dealt.
“If it is the last game, it’s the last game, and I hope that everyone understands why I made this decision. It’s been a good ride.”
Weiss — the Panthers’ second-leading scoring in franchise history (394 points), behind Olli Jokinen (419) — would draw considerable interest in free agency should he decide to test the waters.
And with a number of veteran forwards already under contract (Tomas Fleischmann, Kris Versteeg, Scottie Upshall, Tomas Kopecky), combined with a talented crop of youngsters (Jonathan Huberdeau, Drew Shore, Quinton Howden, Peter Mueller), Florida may decide that joining the bidding for Weiss doesn’t make sense.
The Panthers were faced with a similar decision when defenseman Jason Garrison became an unrestricted free agent last summer. Ultimately, Garrison signed a big deal with the Canucks.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:59 AM EST
Darryl Sutter must like what he sees with the advantage.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:03 AM EST
Dec 28, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Rangers are playing OK.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Battle of California tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
Some controversy in this game, too.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
Same old, same old.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Holy puck possession!
Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
Physical game between these teams.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
These teams, as we all know, don’t care for each other.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
This had been brewing for some time.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:27 PM EST
No call on the play.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Injury occurred on a clean hit along the boards.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
Interesting times for the Devils.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Starting to tighten up in the Eastern Conference standings.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Minnesota has recalled John Curry.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
Dec 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
St. Louis will host the Dallas Stars.
Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Will that last?
Dec 27, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been dealing with a back injury.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)