Mar 6, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
Stephen Weiss thinks it would be “awesome” to finish his career with the Florida Panthers, but he’s also realistic.
Weiss, a pending unrestricted free agent, spoke with reporters today prior to undergoing season-ending wrist surgery next week. The 29-year-old center who was drafted fourth overall by the Panthers in 2001 recognizes he may have played his last game for the only NHL organization he’s ever known.
“It’s definitely not the way I would have written it if that is the case,” said Weiss, per NHL.com. “It kind of burns at me that this is the way it could be going out, but you know what, that’s life sometimes. You’ve got to deal with the cards you’re dealt.
“If it is the last game, it’s the last game, and I hope that everyone understands why I made this decision. It’s been a good ride.”
Weiss — the Panthers’ second-leading scoring in franchise history (394 points), behind Olli Jokinen (419) — would draw considerable interest in free agency should he decide to test the waters.
And with a number of veteran forwards already under contract (Tomas Fleischmann, Kris Versteeg, Scottie Upshall, Tomas Kopecky), combined with a talented crop of youngsters (Jonathan Huberdeau, Drew Shore, Quinton Howden, Peter Mueller), Florida may decide that joining the bidding for Weiss doesn’t make sense.
The Panthers were faced with a similar decision when defenseman Jason Garrison became an unrestricted free agent last summer. Ultimately, Garrison signed a big deal with the Canucks.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 0
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 0
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)