Mar 6, 2013, 4:32 PM EDT
The NHL’s hottest team could be adding some reinforcements on defense.
That was the word out of Chicago on Wednesday as the Blackhawks sent forward Brandon Bollig to AHL Rockford — a move that, according to numerous sources, should pave the way for defenseman Steve Montador to return to the active roster.
Bollig, 26, had appeared in 11 games for the ‘Hawks this season, racking up 40 penalty minutes while averaging 5:31 TOI per game. He led all Chicago skaters in fights this year, with four.
Montador, 33, hasn’t played at all this season due to post-concussion symptoms.
He signed a four-year, $11 million deal with Chicago prior to last season and got off to a solid start, racking up 14 points in his first 52 games.
But his season took an unfortunate turn in February, when he suffered a concussion against Colorado. He returned for one game — Mar. 27 against New Jersey — but only lasted four minutes before he was pulled from action and shut down for the year.
Montador then suffered more misfortune during the lockout.
After being medically cleared by team doctors, he began skating during informal practices…during which he collided with a teammate and suffered another head injury.
Update: According to Tim Sassone of the Chicago Daily Herald, Montador has been cleared.
Mar 15, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
He could play Sunday against Detroit.
Mar 15, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
Everyone else more or less lost or was inactive.
Mar 14, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
The two teams combined for nine goals in the second period.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Rangers buy some breathing room via Carl Hagelin’s hat trick.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
A showdown between former Canucks goalies goes badly for NJ.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Not that they’re without problems.
Mar 14, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Good news for a team giving up a lot of shots.
Mar 14, 2014, 9:23 PM EDT
He’s questionable to return with an undisclosed injury.
Mar 14, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Beauty of a pass to Tom Wilson.
Mar 14, 2014, 8:56 PM EDT
On the left side, though.
Mar 14, 2014, 8:22 PM EDT
The player also responds.
Mar 14, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
He hasn’t been taken out of an induced coma.
Mar 14, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Both are inked with the team for three more years.
Mar 14, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
He was their third first-rounder (27th overall) from 2013.
Mar 14, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
Anton Lander slides into his center spot vs. Detroit.
Mar 14, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
“Obviously I would have loved to save 10 grand, but it was part of it.”
Mar 14, 2014, 4:38 PM EDT
Specifically, playing right wing instead of left.
Mar 14, 2014, 3:39 PM EDT
Yep, another Penguins-Flyers series is a possibility.
Mar 14, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 14, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Lots going on here.
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 3
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 28
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 56
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 21
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 12
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)
- Cooke to play 1,000th game tomorrow (56)