Mar 6, 2013, 2:28 PM EDT
Will it be a busy NHL trade deadline? Or, like the past couple of hyped-up affairs, will it fall flat?
Granted, there’s still almost a month before April 3, and a lot of stuff can happen in that time (like trades!), but Kings general manager Dean Lombardi doesn’t provide a ton of hope for fans (and blogs) who love the wheeling and dealing.
According to Lombardi, non-playoff teams have become loathe to trade away pending unrestricted free agents.
“Even mid-range players, many teams are now deciding to keep them and try to sign them versus giving them away for a second- or third-round pick,” Lombardi ESPN.com recently. “That’s something that’s changed in this business since I got in it; very different. Some teams are looking at that No. 4 or No. 5 defenseman and saying, ‘I’m not replacing him this summer, I need to keep him and sign him.’”
Add to the equation the tight standings as a result of the shortened season and there may be fewer teams in full-on selling mode than is typical at the deadline.
But don’t worry, we’ll still hype it up.
May 22, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
He’s been reaching out to agents and players.
May 22, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
Mike Halford and Jason Brough tackle that question.
May 22, 2013, 7:58 PM EDT
He also wants to express his gratitude to the Vancouver Canucks.
May 22, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
Beau Bennett and Jussi Jokinen have been inserted into the lineup.
May 22, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Two swift playoff exits sunk the Canucks’ coach.
May 22, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
His career has gone downhill since being part of the Hodgson trade.
May 22, 2013, 5:53 PM EDT
Vancouver’s Alain Vigneault joins the fray.
May 22, 2013, 5:18 PM EDT
“As long as they keep winning here, that just gives me a better chance for a return with every win.”
May 22, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
“Will we look at them? Absolutely.”
May 22, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
Pittsburgh’s power play is just 1-for-12 in its past two games.
May 22, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
Vancouver cleans house.
May 22, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
Decent goaltending depth in Anaheim at the moment.
May 22, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
Click to read two good reasons.
May 22, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
This should make the Keith Ballard buyout easier to stomach.
May 22, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT
Go have your say.
May 22, 2013, 1:55 PM EDT
He’s expected to be a top-5 pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
May 22, 2013, 11:59 AM EDT
Club says he suffered no injuries.
May 22, 2013, 11:35 AM EDT
His contract with the Coyotes is up June 30.
May 22, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT
Bold, but familiar move from Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean.
May 22, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
Veteran defenseman spent 15 years in the league.
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 0
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 10
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 29
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 91
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 99
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games