Mar 6, 2013, 2:28 PM EDT
Will it be a busy NHL trade deadline? Or, like the past couple of hyped-up affairs, will it fall flat?
Granted, there’s still almost a month before April 3, and a lot of stuff can happen in that time (like trades!), but Kings general manager Dean Lombardi doesn’t provide a ton of hope for fans (and blogs) who love the wheeling and dealing.
According to Lombardi, non-playoff teams have become loathe to trade away pending unrestricted free agents.
“Even mid-range players, many teams are now deciding to keep them and try to sign them versus giving them away for a second- or third-round pick,” Lombardi ESPN.com recently. “That’s something that’s changed in this business since I got in it; very different. Some teams are looking at that No. 4 or No. 5 defenseman and saying, ‘I’m not replacing him this summer, I need to keep him and sign him.'”
Add to the equation the tight standings as a result of the shortened season and there may be fewer teams in full-on selling mode than is typical at the deadline.
But don’t worry, we’ll still hype it up.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 10
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 22
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)