Mar 6, 2013, 6:06 PM EST
Philadelphia defenseman Andrej Meszaros is fed up with being hurt.
The Flyers rearguard expressed frustration with his slow recovery from a shoulder injury while speaking with Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer on Wednesday.
“I was asked 1,000 questions, ‘When you going to come back? When are you going to come back?’” Meszaros said of his experience at the Flyers Wives Fight for Lives Carnival this past weekend. “I wish I knew. I wish I could go.
“As much as I really want to play, if you don’t feel right, you don’t want to overdo it and get hurt again. That would stop me maybe for the rest of the season, and I don’t want that.”
The 27-year-old defenseman has been out of the lineup since dislocating his shoulder on Jan. 24, a somewhat surprising length of time considering Philly originally pegged him to return last weekend.
The Flyers likely assumed Meszaros would heal quickly based on his history.
After tearing his Achilles tendon during a summer workout, Meszaros rehabbed diligently through the lockout and was able to play in Philly’s season opener against Pittsburgh on Jan. 19.
To come back from such an injury so quickly was impressive — original estimates had him returning in mid-February — but it also makes this latest setback all the more frustrating.
Meszaros’ recovery has been much slower this time around, and he’s now coming to grips with the fact that rest and patience are required before he can get back on the ice.
“At some point, [the pain] is just going to stop,” he explained, “and I’m going to go out there and play.”
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)