Mar 6, 2013, 6:06 PM EST
Philadelphia defenseman Andrej Meszaros is fed up with being hurt.
The Flyers rearguard expressed frustration with his slow recovery from a shoulder injury while speaking with Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer on Wednesday.
“I was asked 1,000 questions, ‘When you going to come back? When are you going to come back?’” Meszaros said of his experience at the Flyers Wives Fight for Lives Carnival this past weekend. “I wish I knew. I wish I could go.
“As much as I really want to play, if you don’t feel right, you don’t want to overdo it and get hurt again. That would stop me maybe for the rest of the season, and I don’t want that.”
The 27-year-old defenseman has been out of the lineup since dislocating his shoulder on Jan. 24, a somewhat surprising length of time considering Philly originally pegged him to return last weekend.
The Flyers likely assumed Meszaros would heal quickly based on his history.
After tearing his Achilles tendon during a summer workout, Meszaros rehabbed diligently through the lockout and was able to play in Philly’s season opener against Pittsburgh on Jan. 19.
To come back from such an injury so quickly was impressive — original estimates had him returning in mid-February — but it also makes this latest setback all the more frustrating.
Meszaros’ recovery has been much slower this time around, and he’s now coming to grips with the fact that rest and patience are required before he can get back on the ice.
“At some point, [the pain] is just going to stop,” he explained, “and I’m going to go out there and play.”
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)