Mar 6, 2013, 6:06 PM EDT
Philadelphia defenseman Andrej Meszaros is fed up with being hurt.
The Flyers rearguard expressed frustration with his slow recovery from a shoulder injury while speaking with Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer on Wednesday.
“I was asked 1,000 questions, ‘When you going to come back? When are you going to come back?’” Meszaros said of his experience at the Flyers Wives Fight for Lives Carnival this past weekend. “I wish I knew. I wish I could go.
“As much as I really want to play, if you don’t feel right, you don’t want to overdo it and get hurt again. That would stop me maybe for the rest of the season, and I don’t want that.”
The 27-year-old defenseman has been out of the lineup since dislocating his shoulder on Jan. 24, a somewhat surprising length of time considering Philly originally pegged him to return last weekend.
The Flyers likely assumed Meszaros would heal quickly based on his history.
After tearing his Achilles tendon during a summer workout, Meszaros rehabbed diligently through the lockout and was able to play in Philly’s season opener against Pittsburgh on Jan. 19.
To come back from such an injury so quickly was impressive — original estimates had him returning in mid-February — but it also makes this latest setback all the more frustrating.
Meszaros’ recovery has been much slower this time around, and he’s now coming to grips with the fact that rest and patience are required before he can get back on the ice.
“At some point, [the pain] is just going to stop,” he explained, “and I’m going to go out there and play.”
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 16
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)