Mar 6, 2013, 2:46 PM EDT
The New York Rangers have yet to offer an update on the condition of Marc Staal, but Staal’s brother on the Carolina Hurricanes, Eric, told NHL.com that more time is needed before anything is known for sure.
“It’s hard to say now. They’re just waiting for the swelling to go down,” said Eric, who reportedly spoke to Marc on Wednesday morning. “He sounded like he was in OK spirits but we don’t know a lot right now. Obviously we’re saying prayers and hoping he dodged a bullet as far as being struck in that area. We’ll know more with some more time.”
Marc was struck in the eye with a puck last night at Madison Square Garden — an incident that has reignited the debate over visors and whether they should be mandatory.
The Rangers did claim defenseman Roman Hamrlik off waivers from Washington today, though it’s not known if the move was related to Staal’s injury.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)