Mar 6, 2013, 2:46 PM EDT
The New York Rangers have yet to offer an update on the condition of Marc Staal, but Staal’s brother on the Carolina Hurricanes, Eric, told NHL.com that more time is needed before anything is known for sure.
“It’s hard to say now. They’re just waiting for the swelling to go down,” said Eric, who reportedly spoke to Marc on Wednesday morning. “He sounded like he was in OK spirits but we don’t know a lot right now. Obviously we’re saying prayers and hoping he dodged a bullet as far as being struck in that area. We’ll know more with some more time.”
Marc was struck in the eye with a puck last night at Madison Square Garden — an incident that has reignited the debate over visors and whether they should be mandatory.
The Rangers did claim defenseman Roman Hamrlik off waivers from Washington today, though it’s not known if the move was related to Staal’s injury.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 8
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40