Mar 6, 2013, 12:42 PM EST
New Jersey goalie Martin Brodeur is no longer day-to-day with a sore back. According to Devils coach Pete DeBoer, it’s more like…just more.
“I wouldn’t classify it as day-to-day,” DeBoer said today, per the Star-Ledger. “I mean he’s not going to play Thursday. I don’t mean it’s going to be a month. Sometime in between day-to-day and a month.”
Brodeur, 40, hasn’t played since Feb. 21. And unfortunately for the Devils, 39-year-old backup Johan Hedberg has struggled badly in the starter’s absence.
After a 9-2-3 start, New Jersey has fallen to 10-8-5 and is in danger of falling out of a playoff spot.
Hedberg is expected to start Thursday’s home game versus Buffalo. In the meantime, the Devils have called up goalie Jeff Frazee from AHL Albany and sent down Keith Kinkaid.
“Probably to get Kinkaid some starts,” said DeBoer when asked why general manager Lou Lamoriello made the move.
Not all the Devils’ problems can be blamed on goaltending. The team’s offense has dried up, amassing just 16 goals in its last nine games.
But it’s hard to keep fighting the good fight when the guy between the pipes surrenders three goals on 11 shots, like Hedberg did in last night’s 5-2 loss to Tampa Bay.
The Devils also assigned forward Cam Janssen to Albany and picked up forward Tom Kostopoulos off waivers from Pittsburgh.
The Penguins just signed Kostopoulos yesterday.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 60
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 3
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (60)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)