Mar 6, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames will have a welcome sight in goal on Wednesday as starting netminder Miikka Kiprusoff returns to action.
Kiprusoff, 36, hasn’t played since suffering a grade 2 MCL sprain in a game against Detroit on Feb. 5, but will be between the pipes when the Flames take on the Sharks at the Saddledome.
To say Calgary’s struggled without Kipper is a slight understatement. Since he’s gone down, the Flames have started three different goalies — Leland Irving, Danny Taylor and Joey MacDonald — who have allowed a combined 44 goals.
(Speaking of Taylor, the Flames sent him to AHL Abbotsford today.)
How Kiprusoff responds to such a lengthy layoff will be monitored across the league.
The veteran has two seasons left on the six-year, $35 million deal signed back in 2008 and could be a tantalizing bit of trade bait at deadline time.
He does have a high cap hit ($5.8 million) but will only make $1.5 million in salary in 2013-14, so he could be a viable target for a team looking for a veteran presence in goal — should the Flames fall out of playoff contention, of course.
Calgary heads into tonight’s action sitting 13th in the Western Conference, four points back of eighth-place Dallas.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)