Mar 6, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames will have a welcome sight in goal on Wednesday as starting netminder Miikka Kiprusoff returns to action.
Kiprusoff, 36, hasn’t played since suffering a grade 2 MCL sprain in a game against Detroit on Feb. 5, but will be between the pipes when the Flames take on the Sharks at the Saddledome.
To say Calgary’s struggled without Kipper is a slight understatement. Since he’s gone down, the Flames have started three different goalies — Leland Irving, Danny Taylor and Joey MacDonald — who have allowed a combined 44 goals.
(Speaking of Taylor, the Flames sent him to AHL Abbotsford today.)
How Kiprusoff responds to such a lengthy layoff will be monitored across the league.
The veteran has two seasons left on the six-year, $35 million deal signed back in 2008 and could be a tantalizing bit of trade bait at deadline time.
He does have a high cap hit ($5.8 million) but will only make $1.5 million in salary in 2013-14, so he could be a viable target for a team looking for a veteran presence in goal — should the Flames fall out of playoff contention, of course.
Calgary heads into tonight’s action sitting 13th in the Western Conference, four points back of eighth-place Dallas.
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 28
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 58
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte