Mar 5, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT
If you’re squeamish, this might not be the post or video for you.
New York Rangers defenseman Marc Staal left Tuesday’s 4-2 win against the Philadelphia Flyers after taking a puck to the eye, as you can see in the clip below. (Again, it’s rough.)
It’s worth noting that Staal has just recently gotten over some worrisome concussion problems, so that’s among the many concerns (including loss of vision).
NBC’s own Liam McHugh provides this frightening screen capture:
That happened late in the third period of game that just finished, so it’s too early to tell how bad things might be for Staal.
It’s difficult to argue with many people who point to it as yet another reason that every player should wear a visor, but it seems like that debate won’t die unless the NHL makes them mandatory.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)