Mar 5, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT
If you’re squeamish, this might not be the post or video for you.
New York Rangers defenseman Marc Staal left Tuesday’s 4-2 win against the Philadelphia Flyers after taking a puck to the eye, as you can see in the clip below. (Again, it’s rough.)
It’s worth noting that Staal has just recently gotten over some worrisome concussion problems, so that’s among the many concerns (including loss of vision).
NBC’s own Liam McHugh provides this frightening screen capture:
That happened late in the third period of game that just finished, so it’s too early to tell how bad things might be for Staal.
It’s difficult to argue with many people who point to it as yet another reason that every player should wear a visor, but it seems like that debate won’t die unless the NHL makes them mandatory.
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 2
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 20
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 37
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 57
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 15
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 42
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20