Mar 5, 2013, 1:26 AM EDT
Jeff Carter and the Los Angeles Kings are red-hot right now.
The Kings have won eight of their last 10 games, with Carter leading the way. The 28-year-old’s five-game goal-scoring streak ended on Saturday against Vancouver, so he made up for lost time with a natural hat trick as Los Angeles crushed the Nashville Predators 5-1 on Monday.
Here’s video evidence of the trio, which happened on free hat night.
Carter’s second and third goals came during a disastrous third period for Pekka Rinne, who was pulled after allowing five goals on 13 shots overall (four of which came in a dizzying span in the final frame).
This is the second time Carter has collected a hat trick against Barry Trotz’s team. His first one came on Dec. 22, 2011, during his ill-fated run with the Columbus Blue Jackets. (Trotz wasn’t impressed, though.)
Carter now has an amusingly imbalanced stat line: 14 goals and just two assists for 16 points in 20 games.
Jonathan Bernier is the other Kings player who loves sticking it to the Predators. His record against Nashville is now 7-1-0. With Jonathan Quick struggling, other teams might start seeing more of the other Jonathan.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)