Mar 5, 2013, 1:26 AM EST
Jeff Carter and the Los Angeles Kings are red-hot right now.
The Kings have won eight of their last 10 games, with Carter leading the way. The 28-year-old’s five-game goal-scoring streak ended on Saturday against Vancouver, so he made up for lost time with a natural hat trick as Los Angeles crushed the Nashville Predators 5-1 on Monday.
Here’s video evidence of the trio, which happened on free hat night.
Carter’s second and third goals came during a disastrous third period for Pekka Rinne, who was pulled after allowing five goals on 13 shots overall (four of which came in a dizzying span in the final frame).
This is the second time Carter has collected a hat trick against Barry Trotz’s team. His first one came on Dec. 22, 2011, during his ill-fated run with the Columbus Blue Jackets. (Trotz wasn’t impressed, though.)
Carter now has an amusingly imbalanced stat line: 14 goals and just two assists for 16 points in 20 games.
Jonathan Bernier is the other Kings player who loves sticking it to the Predators. His record against Nashville is now 7-1-0. With Jonathan Quick struggling, other teams might start seeing more of the other Jonathan.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)