Mar 5, 2013, 1:26 AM EDT
Jeff Carter and the Los Angeles Kings are red-hot right now.
The Kings have won eight of their last 10 games, with Carter leading the way. The 28-year-old’s five-game goal-scoring streak ended on Saturday against Vancouver, so he made up for lost time with a natural hat trick as Los Angeles crushed the Nashville Predators 5-1 on Monday.
Here’s video evidence of the trio, which happened on free hat night.
Carter’s second and third goals came during a disastrous third period for Pekka Rinne, who was pulled after allowing five goals on 13 shots overall (four of which came in a dizzying span in the final frame).
This is the second time Carter has collected a hat trick against Barry Trotz’s team. His first one came on Dec. 22, 2011, during his ill-fated run with the Columbus Blue Jackets. (Trotz wasn’t impressed, though.)
Carter now has an amusingly imbalanced stat line: 14 goals and just two assists for 16 points in 20 games.
Jonathan Bernier is the other Kings player who loves sticking it to the Predators. His record against Nashville is now 7-1-0. With Jonathan Quick struggling, other teams might start seeing more of the other Jonathan.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)