Mar 5, 2013, 1:26 AM EDT
Jeff Carter and the Los Angeles Kings are red-hot right now.
The Kings have won eight of their last 10 games, with Carter leading the way. The 28-year-old’s five-game goal-scoring streak ended on Saturday against Vancouver, so he made up for lost time with a natural hat trick as Los Angeles crushed the Nashville Predators 5-1 on Monday.
Here’s video evidence of the trio, which happened on free hat night.
Carter’s second and third goals came during a disastrous third period for Pekka Rinne, who was pulled after allowing five goals on 13 shots overall (four of which came in a dizzying span in the final frame).
This is the second time Carter has collected a hat trick against Barry Trotz’s team. His first one came on Dec. 22, 2011, during his ill-fated run with the Columbus Blue Jackets. (Trotz wasn’t impressed, though.)
Carter now has an amusingly imbalanced stat line: 14 goals and just two assists for 16 points in 20 games.
Jonathan Bernier is the other Kings player who loves sticking it to the Predators. His record against Nashville is now 7-1-0. With Jonathan Quick struggling, other teams might start seeing more of the other Jonathan.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)