Mar 5, 2013, 9:05 AM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks have earned a point in 22 straight games to start the season. That accounts for nearly half of the shortened campaign, but even ignoring that, Chicago has still crushed the 2006-07 Anaheim Ducks previous record of 16 consecutive contests without a regulation loss to open a season.
That kind of streak requires everyone pulling their weight and the will to continue to battle regardless of the situation.
“We’ll win any way we can,” captain Jonathan Toews said on Comcast SportsNet via a CSN Chicago report. “It’s great that we can win whether we’re down a goal or two going into the third period. If we get up on a team we’ve shown we can protect leads and kill big penalties.
“We’re showing a lot of depth. The fact that we’re getting great goaltending and we’re getting some huge, huge goals all over our lineup, I think it makes us a tough team to beat.”
Toews acknowledged that for a streak to continue this long, luck has to be on your side.
“But for the most part, we’re earning a lot of our success, we’re working hard,” Toews added.
The streak has helped all-but guarantee their entry into the playoffs, but once they’re there, it won’t count for much. President Trophy winners can fall while eighth seeds can win the Stanley Cup.
Still, Toews thinks this streak is about more than just collecting regular season points.
“This year, this whole streak thing could be the thing that gives us the confidence that we need to believe in ourselves, that we’re that type of team and we have that potential,” Toews said.
“It is an exciting thing, but we know that if we don’t use this confidence for something greater in the postseason, people will forget about what happened at the start of the season pretty quickly.”
If you want to see more of Toews SportsTalk Live interview, you can watch it below:
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 0
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 10
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 10
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 20
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56