Mar 5, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks have earned a point in 22 straight games to start the season. That accounts for nearly half of the shortened campaign, but even ignoring that, Chicago has still crushed the 2006-07 Anaheim Ducks previous record of 16 consecutive contests without a regulation loss to open a season.
That kind of streak requires everyone pulling their weight and the will to continue to battle regardless of the situation.
“We’ll win any way we can,” captain Jonathan Toews said on Comcast SportsNet via a CSN Chicago report. “It’s great that we can win whether we’re down a goal or two going into the third period. If we get up on a team we’ve shown we can protect leads and kill big penalties.
“We’re showing a lot of depth. The fact that we’re getting great goaltending and we’re getting some huge, huge goals all over our lineup, I think it makes us a tough team to beat.”
Toews acknowledged that for a streak to continue this long, luck has to be on your side.
“But for the most part, we’re earning a lot of our success, we’re working hard,” Toews added.
The streak has helped all-but guarantee their entry into the playoffs, but once they’re there, it won’t count for much. President Trophy winners can fall while eighth seeds can win the Stanley Cup.
Still, Toews thinks this streak is about more than just collecting regular season points.
“This year, this whole streak thing could be the thing that gives us the confidence that we need to believe in ourselves, that we’re that type of team and we have that potential,” Toews said.
“It is an exciting thing, but we know that if we don’t use this confidence for something greater in the postseason, people will forget about what happened at the start of the season pretty quickly.”
If you want to see more of Toews SportsTalk Live interview, you can watch it below:
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 4
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 10
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)