Mar 5, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks have earned a point in 22 straight games to start the season. That accounts for nearly half of the shortened campaign, but even ignoring that, Chicago has still crushed the 2006-07 Anaheim Ducks previous record of 16 consecutive contests without a regulation loss to open a season.
That kind of streak requires everyone pulling their weight and the will to continue to battle regardless of the situation.
“We’ll win any way we can,” captain Jonathan Toews said on Comcast SportsNet via a CSN Chicago report. “It’s great that we can win whether we’re down a goal or two going into the third period. If we get up on a team we’ve shown we can protect leads and kill big penalties.
“We’re showing a lot of depth. The fact that we’re getting great goaltending and we’re getting some huge, huge goals all over our lineup, I think it makes us a tough team to beat.”
Toews acknowledged that for a streak to continue this long, luck has to be on your side.
“But for the most part, we’re earning a lot of our success, we’re working hard,” Toews added.
The streak has helped all-but guarantee their entry into the playoffs, but once they’re there, it won’t count for much. President Trophy winners can fall while eighth seeds can win the Stanley Cup.
Still, Toews thinks this streak is about more than just collecting regular season points.
“This year, this whole streak thing could be the thing that gives us the confidence that we need to believe in ourselves, that we’re that type of team and we have that potential,” Toews said.
“It is an exciting thing, but we know that if we don’t use this confidence for something greater in the postseason, people will forget about what happened at the start of the season pretty quickly.”
If you want to see more of Toews SportsTalk Live interview, you can watch it below:
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 4
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)