Mar 5, 2013, 10:48 AM EDT
Steve Fehr doesn’t sound like he wants to follow in the footsteps of his brother.
That was the word out of Ottawa on Monday night as Fehr all but shot down rumors he’d be taking over as head of the NHLPA once his brother, Donald Fehr, steps down from the role.
“It’s not very likely,” he told the Ottawa Citizen.
Steve also added it’s unlikely Don will move on to head up the National Basketball Players’ Association, something that’s popped up in rumor mills over the last month.
Steve, 60, currently serves as special counsel to the NHLPA and played a prominent role while brother Don, 64, led the players’ union through a 113-day work stoppage.
Many have suggested Steve was being groomed to take over the executive director position once his brother moved on.
Those rumors intensified in mid-February when the NBPA unanimously voted to remove its executive director, Billy Hunter, after a controversial investigation into the union’s business practices.
Don was floated as a possible successor to Hunter by a number of prominent player agents.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 18
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 14
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)