Mar 5, 2013, 12:10 AM EST
The hockey world was abuzz on Sunday night after Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien fumed about the Canadiens’ supposed embellishment during Montreal’s 4-3 win. Milan Lucic provided more of the same to CSNNE.com on Monday.
“You definitely would like to see a lot less embellishment,” Lucic said. “I know the way that we are as a team, and how we play. The type of people that we are we don’t really accept that type of play in this room. We don’t like our guys diving. We don’t like our guys embellishing. You don’t like to see it around the league. So hopefully the right calls will be made, and guys will take pride in not being that type of player.”
Then again, self-awareness doesn’t always factor completely into these situations.
Toronto Maple Leafs blog Pension Plan Puppets passes along this amusing video seemingly produced by a Vancouver Canucks fan,* which juxtaposes Julien’s comments with moments where the Bruins might have been the ones who were guilty of embellishment:
In other words, it’s likely that no one’s completely “innocent.”
One might argue that Julien merely made those remarks in the heat of the moment, but he backed his critique up to CSNNE.com today.
“I didn’t question their character because they play hard. They’re a good team. The only thing I talked about is the embellishment,” Julien said. “I wasn’t just talking about them, but I was talking about something that we’re trying to clean up in the league. There are times when certain things frustrate you and I thought after the game that embellishment is something that embarrasses the game.
“I have a strong opinion about it and I stand by it. We’re a professional league here. The NBA went through it and kind of cleaned things up, and I’m hoping that we’ll do the same thing with hockey.”
The Bruins will be expected to hold themselves to that higher standard, then.
* – Your rivals will always do things like this.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11