Mar 5, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
The 39-year-old has been pretty brutal at times during Martin Brodeur‘s injured stretch, but Tuesday might be the worst night yet. He was pulled about 33 minutes into tonight’s game against the Tampa Bay Lightning after allowing three goals on just 11 shots.
Before this poorly timed six-game slump, Hedberg has been a suitable backup for Brodeur, sometimes even putting up better numbers. He started 2013 hot with just two goals allowed in his first three games, but now he’s 0-4-1 (possibly 0-5-1 if New Jersey doesn’t come back) in his last six contests.
With Brodeur, 40, needing a little more time to heal, 23-year-old goalie Keith Kincaid is seeing his first bit of NHL action tonight.
All he has to do is face the high-flying (and probably angry) Tampa Bay Lightning offense out of the blue. No pressure, kid.
Update: The Devils ended up losing 5-2. The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti reports that Brodeur isn’t ready to return, so the plan is to give Hedberg a chance to redeem himself on Thursday.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks