Mar 5, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
The 39-year-old has been pretty brutal at times during Martin Brodeur‘s injured stretch, but Tuesday might be the worst night yet. He was pulled about 33 minutes into tonight’s game against the Tampa Bay Lightning after allowing three goals on just 11 shots.
Before this poorly timed six-game slump, Hedberg has been a suitable backup for Brodeur, sometimes even putting up better numbers. He started 2013 hot with just two goals allowed in his first three games, but now he’s 0-4-1 (possibly 0-5-1 if New Jersey doesn’t come back) in his last six contests.
With Brodeur, 40, needing a little more time to heal, 23-year-old goalie Keith Kincaid is seeing his first bit of NHL action tonight.
All he has to do is face the high-flying (and probably angry) Tampa Bay Lightning offense out of the blue. No pressure, kid.
Update: The Devils ended up losing 5-2. The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti reports that Brodeur isn’t ready to return, so the plan is to give Hedberg a chance to redeem himself on Thursday.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)