Mar 5, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
A healthy scratch in all but four games this season, veteran defenseman Roman Hamrlik has been placed on waivers by the Washington Capitals.
Hamrlik, 38, is in the final year of a two-year, $7 million contract. His salary (prorated) and cap hit for this season is $3.5 million.
Hamrlik was drafted first overall by Tampa Bay in 1992. He’s played 1,383 career games and scored 638 points for the Lightning, Oilers, Islanders, Flames, Canadiens and Capitals.
In 2011-12, he suited up 68 times for the Caps in the regular season, scoring twice and adding 11 assists while averaging 19:13 per game. He also appeared in all 14 Washington playoff games (1G, 3A, 22:17).
Update (5:06 p.m. ET):
Coach Adam Oates said #Caps waived Hamrlik to try and get him an opportunity to play somewhere. No plans to assign him to AHL if he clears.
— Katie Carrera (@kcarrera) March 5, 2013
In other club news, the Caps have signed tough defenseman Steven Oleksy to a one-year contract and recalled him from AHL Hershey.
They’ve also placed defenseman Mike Green (groin) on injured reserve; he’s eligible to return Thursday versus Florida.
Washington hosts Boston tonight.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)