Mar 5, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
A healthy scratch in all but four games this season, veteran defenseman Roman Hamrlik has been placed on waivers by the Washington Capitals.
Hamrlik, 38, is in the final year of a two-year, $7 million contract. His salary (prorated) and cap hit for this season is $3.5 million.
Hamrlik was drafted first overall by Tampa Bay in 1992. He’s played 1,383 career games and scored 638 points for the Lightning, Oilers, Islanders, Flames, Canadiens and Capitals.
In 2011-12, he suited up 68 times for the Caps in the regular season, scoring twice and adding 11 assists while averaging 19:13 per game. He also appeared in all 14 Washington playoff games (1G, 3A, 22:17).
Update (5:06 p.m. ET):
Coach Adam Oates said #Caps waived Hamrlik to try and get him an opportunity to play somewhere. No plans to assign him to AHL if he clears.
— Katie Carrera (@kcarrera) March 5, 2013
In other club news, the Caps have signed tough defenseman Steven Oleksy to a one-year contract and recalled him from AHL Hershey.
They’ve also placed defenseman Mike Green (groin) on injured reserve; he’s eligible to return Thursday versus Florida.
Washington hosts Boston tonight.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)