Mar 5, 2013, 4:11 PM EST
Keith Ballard will get a chance to redeem himself tonight against San Jose, as the Canucks’ defenseman will be back in the lineup after sitting out two straight games as a healthy scratch.
For Ballard, it’s just the latest bit of adversity he’s faced during his time in Vancouver. It was reported yesterday that Ballard’s agent would be calling the Canucks about his frustrated client. The 30-year-old is signed through 2014-15 with a cap hit of $4.2 million.
Less than a month ago, Ballard was being lauded by the coaching staff for his improved play. But head coach Alain Vigneault said today that the defenseman hasn’t been good enough lately — an assessment Ballard didn’t deny.
“I look back at my last couple of games and I didn’t play well,” Ballard said. “The situation I’m in, the role I’m in, it’s up to me to make the best of it. I think before that I was playing real solid, but it’s game-to-game and whether or not I like that, it doesn’t matter.”
In other club news, defenseman Kevin Bieksa is still day-to-day with a groin injury and will miss his fourth game in Vancouver’s last five outings.
Cory Schneider will start in goal against the Sharks.
Finally, assistant GM Lorne Henning confirmed to The Province that the Canucks are attempting to secure a spot for top prospect Nicklas Jensen with its AHL affiliate in Chicago.
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 27
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 52
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 52
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 58
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)