Mar 5, 2013, 4:11 PM EDT
Keith Ballard will get a chance to redeem himself tonight against San Jose, as the Canucks’ defenseman will be back in the lineup after sitting out two straight games as a healthy scratch.
For Ballard, it’s just the latest bit of adversity he’s faced during his time in Vancouver. It was reported yesterday that Ballard’s agent would be calling the Canucks about his frustrated client. The 30-year-old is signed through 2014-15 with a cap hit of $4.2 million.
Less than a month ago, Ballard was being lauded by the coaching staff for his improved play. But head coach Alain Vigneault said today that the defenseman hasn’t been good enough lately — an assessment Ballard didn’t deny.
“I look back at my last couple of games and I didn’t play well,” Ballard said. “The situation I’m in, the role I’m in, it’s up to me to make the best of it. I think before that I was playing real solid, but it’s game-to-game and whether or not I like that, it doesn’t matter.”
In other club news, defenseman Kevin Bieksa is still day-to-day with a groin injury and will miss his fourth game in Vancouver’s last five outings.
Cory Schneider will start in goal against the Sharks.
Finally, assistant GM Lorne Henning confirmed to The Province that the Canucks are attempting to secure a spot for top prospect Nicklas Jensen with its AHL affiliate in Chicago.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)