Mar 5, 2013, 4:11 PM EDT
Keith Ballard will get a chance to redeem himself tonight against San Jose, as the Canucks’ defenseman will be back in the lineup after sitting out two straight games as a healthy scratch.
For Ballard, it’s just the latest bit of adversity he’s faced during his time in Vancouver. It was reported yesterday that Ballard’s agent would be calling the Canucks about his frustrated client. The 30-year-old is signed through 2014-15 with a cap hit of $4.2 million.
Less than a month ago, Ballard was being lauded by the coaching staff for his improved play. But head coach Alain Vigneault said today that the defenseman hasn’t been good enough lately — an assessment Ballard didn’t deny.
“I look back at my last couple of games and I didn’t play well,” Ballard said. “The situation I’m in, the role I’m in, it’s up to me to make the best of it. I think before that I was playing real solid, but it’s game-to-game and whether or not I like that, it doesn’t matter.”
In other club news, defenseman Kevin Bieksa is still day-to-day with a groin injury and will miss his fourth game in Vancouver’s last five outings.
Cory Schneider will start in goal against the Sharks.
Finally, assistant GM Lorne Henning confirmed to The Province that the Canucks are attempting to secure a spot for top prospect Nicklas Jensen with its AHL affiliate in Chicago.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 10
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)