Mar 5, 2013, 12:04 PM EST
The Hurricanes have announced that AHL call-up Justin Peters will get the start in goal on Tuesday when they take on the Sabres in Carolina.
Peters, 26, was summoned from the minors on Monday after it was revealed starting netminder Cam Ward could miss the remainder of the regular season with a knee injury.
Under normal circumstances, the starting gig would fall to backup Dan Ellis — but the 32-year-old has fallen ill and will instead back up Peters tonight against Buffalo.
It’ll be very interesting to see how this plays out both tonight and moving forward.
Peters doesn’t have a large body of NHL work — 28 career starts, 11-11-3 record, 3.23 GAA — but has posted solid numbers with the Charlotte Checkers this season, sporting a 22-12-1 mark with a 2.29 GAA and .921 save percentage.
Ellis hasn’t been a starter since his time in Nashville and only has 30 appearances in the last three seasons. He is 3-2-0 with a .923 save percentage and 2.53 GAA this season, though.
‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford acknowledged the difficulty in replacing his No. 1 goalie, but said the organization has confidence in Ellis and Peters handling the load until Ward can return (possibly by playoff time.)
“He has good experience in the league and we haven’t been surprised by his performance,” Rutherford said of Ellis. “[Peters’] development has been very good and he’s having his best year as a pro — he’s had an exceptional year in Charlotte.”
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 18
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 6
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 34
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 41
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 12
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (167)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)