Mar 5, 2013, 11:17 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks won once again on Tuesday night, extending one record point streak (23 games to start a season) and breaking a tie with the 1977-78 Montreal Canadiens as their overall streak stretching back to last season is now 29 games.
Chicago did so by holding off a brief Minnesota Wild surge. The Blackhawks had a 4-1 lead in the third period that quickly went to 4-3, yet Patrick Kane ended that threat with an insurance goal to end it 5-3. Marian Hossa scored the winner on a night when the Blackhawks honored him for reaching the 1,000 games played plateau.
The ‘Hawks have won quite a few games by a slim margin lately, so give them a little leeway in struggling with an unusually robust lead.
Now the Blackhawks hope to tie (and then pass) the 1979-80 Philadelphia Flyers, whose all-time record point streak ended at 35 games. (Again, Chicago’s 29 now stands alone ahead of that Habs team.)
The next obstacle: two games in a row against the Colorado Avalanche. They’ll host the Avs on Wednesday and then face them in Colorado on Friday.
They’ll have a little bulletin board material to point to, as Gabriel Landeskog welcomed the challenge to NHL.com before tonight’s game.
“Absolutely, it matters. I remember asking Paul Stastny early in the season, ‘When do we play Chicago?’ Chicago was maybe 5-0 and people were already talking a little about the streak,” Landeskog said. “Now there is only one more game in between and then it’s up to us and we could have a chance to end that streak. To be honest, I want them to win Tuesday night and we want to be the team that goes in there and puts an end to that.”
They’ll get two cracks at them, so be careful what you wish for, Mr. Landeskog.
Dec 19, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Andrew Alberts will get another shot tonight in Dallas.
Dec 19, 2013, 1:21 PM EST
This after he played less than five minutes against Phoenix last game.
Dec 19, 2013, 1:03 PM EST
“Things are going well, let’s just let things happen,” said GM Dale Tallon.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:53 PM EST
“He’s a young player still, and sometimes you have those seasons.”
Dec 19, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
Flyers host Jackets.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
Shakeup time in Detroit.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:01 PM EST
Dec 19, 2013, 11:49 AM EST
He’ll face the Preds tonight.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:37 AM EST
Mathew Dumba and Jonathan Drouin will serve as alternates.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
He played less than five minutes against the Coyotes.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:58 AM EST
The Vancouver Canucks have put him on unconditional waivers.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:06 AM EST
There was some controversy surrounding the goal.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:02 AM EST
Thursday’s collection of links.
Dec 19, 2013, 7:30 AM EST
Nine suspensions totaling 38 games, with more likely on the way.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:55 AM EST
If all goes well, he could be back on Dec. 27, according to Fletcher.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:57 PM EST
Pittsburgh’s forward got a penalty.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:30 PM EST
Dec 18, 2013, 11:12 PM EST
New York comes back but can’t get two points.
Dec 18, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Dec 18, 2013, 9:41 PM EST
It’s not a concussion.
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 0
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 3
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 18
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 37
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 49
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 15
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)