Mar 4, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
The Minnesota Wild won again last night, making it three wins in their last four and seven in their last 11.
With the 4-2 victory over Edmonton, the Wild (11-8-2) moved into sixth place in the Western Conference and just two points behind Northwest Division-leading Vancouver.
Late last week, Wild general manager Chuck Fletcher gave new additions Zach Parise and Ryan Suter – who signed identical 13-year, $98-million contracts this summer – a lot of credit for turning his team around after last season’s 12th-place finish in the conference.
“Their work ethic is so strong, they’re going to earn every penny we pay them. They both just turned 28, so we’re pretty comfortable with that,” Fletcher told the L.A. Times. “They’ve played well and I think they’ll only play better as they continue to acclimate and adjust to their new teammates and coaches and the system we play.”
About that system, not everyone who watches has been a fan. But it must’ve been doing something right when the Wild outshot the Oilers, 18-0, in Sunday’s second period.
“I really liked the start of our game, and I really liked the finish,” Wild coach Mike Yeo said, “and I really liked the part in between too.”
Minnesota is in Chicago to face the Blackhawks Tuesday. Get a win there and the Wild could really gain some confidence.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)