Mar 4, 2013, 11:17 AM EST
The Minnesota Wild won again last night, making it three wins in their last four and seven in their last 11.
With the 4-2 victory over Edmonton, the Wild (11-8-2) moved into sixth place in the Western Conference and just two points behind Northwest Division-leading Vancouver.
Late last week, Wild general manager Chuck Fletcher gave new additions Zach Parise and Ryan Suter – who signed identical 13-year, $98-million contracts this summer – a lot of credit for turning his team around after last season’s 12th-place finish in the conference.
“Their work ethic is so strong, they’re going to earn every penny we pay them. They both just turned 28, so we’re pretty comfortable with that,” Fletcher told the L.A. Times. “They’ve played well and I think they’ll only play better as they continue to acclimate and adjust to their new teammates and coaches and the system we play.”
About that system, not everyone who watches has been a fan. But it must’ve been doing something right when the Wild outshot the Oilers, 18-0, in Sunday’s second period.
“I really liked the start of our game, and I really liked the finish,” Wild coach Mike Yeo said, “and I really liked the part in between too.”
Minnesota is in Chicago to face the Blackhawks Tuesday. Get a win there and the Wild could really gain some confidence.
- Marian Gaborik suffers broken collarbone in return to action 4
- Martin Jones improves to 8-0-0, ties NHL record 12
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 2
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 25
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ (72)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)
- Video: Marchand taunts Canucks with championship miming (69)