Mar 4, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
The Minnesota Wild won again last night, making it three wins in their last four and seven in their last 11.
With the 4-2 victory over Edmonton, the Wild (11-8-2) moved into sixth place in the Western Conference and just two points behind Northwest Division-leading Vancouver.
Late last week, Wild general manager Chuck Fletcher gave new additions Zach Parise and Ryan Suter – who signed identical 13-year, $98-million contracts this summer – a lot of credit for turning his team around after last season’s 12th-place finish in the conference.
“Their work ethic is so strong, they’re going to earn every penny we pay them. They both just turned 28, so we’re pretty comfortable with that,” Fletcher told the L.A. Times. “They’ve played well and I think they’ll only play better as they continue to acclimate and adjust to their new teammates and coaches and the system we play.”
About that system, not everyone who watches has been a fan. But it must’ve been doing something right when the Wild outshot the Oilers, 18-0, in Sunday’s second period.
“I really liked the start of our game, and I really liked the finish,” Wild coach Mike Yeo said, “and I really liked the part in between too.”
Minnesota is in Chicago to face the Blackhawks Tuesday. Get a win there and the Wild could really gain some confidence.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks