Mar 4, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
The Minnesota Wild won again last night, making it three wins in their last four and seven in their last 11.
With the 4-2 victory over Edmonton, the Wild (11-8-2) moved into sixth place in the Western Conference and just two points behind Northwest Division-leading Vancouver.
Late last week, Wild general manager Chuck Fletcher gave new additions Zach Parise and Ryan Suter – who signed identical 13-year, $98-million contracts this summer – a lot of credit for turning his team around after last season’s 12th-place finish in the conference.
“Their work ethic is so strong, they’re going to earn every penny we pay them. They both just turned 28, so we’re pretty comfortable with that,” Fletcher told the L.A. Times. “They’ve played well and I think they’ll only play better as they continue to acclimate and adjust to their new teammates and coaches and the system we play.”
About that system, not everyone who watches has been a fan. But it must’ve been doing something right when the Wild outshot the Oilers, 18-0, in Sunday’s second period.
“I really liked the start of our game, and I really liked the finish,” Wild coach Mike Yeo said, “and I really liked the part in between too.”
Minnesota is in Chicago to face the Blackhawks Tuesday. Get a win there and the Wild could really gain some confidence.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)