Mar 4, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
The Minnesota Wild won again last night, making it three wins in their last four and seven in their last 11.
With the 4-2 victory over Edmonton, the Wild (11-8-2) moved into sixth place in the Western Conference and just two points behind Northwest Division-leading Vancouver.
Late last week, Wild general manager Chuck Fletcher gave new additions Zach Parise and Ryan Suter – who signed identical 13-year, $98-million contracts this summer – a lot of credit for turning his team around after last season’s 12th-place finish in the conference.
“Their work ethic is so strong, they’re going to earn every penny we pay them. They both just turned 28, so we’re pretty comfortable with that,” Fletcher told the L.A. Times. “They’ve played well and I think they’ll only play better as they continue to acclimate and adjust to their new teammates and coaches and the system we play.”
About that system, not everyone who watches has been a fan. But it must’ve been doing something right when the Wild outshot the Oilers, 18-0, in Sunday’s second period.
“I really liked the start of our game, and I really liked the finish,” Wild coach Mike Yeo said, “and I really liked the part in between too.”
Minnesota is in Chicago to face the Blackhawks Tuesday. Get a win there and the Wild could really gain some confidence.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)