Mar 4, 2013, 11:18 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers beefed up their roster on Monday by acquiring Mike Brown from Toronto. In exchange, the Leafs get a fourth-round pick in 2014 that becomes a third-rounder if the Oilers make the playoffs this year.
Brown, 27, has appeared in 12 games for the Maple Leafs this season, recording one assist while racking up 70 PIM (with five fighting majors).
He averaged 4:39 time on ice per game, but hasn’t played since recording his lone point of the year in a loss to Montreal on Feb. 27.
It’s easy to see why this move was made.
Edmonton has openly stated its desire to add toughness in recent weeks — the team reportedly had interest in ex-Canuck Aaron Volpatti before he was claimed off waivers by the Capitals.
That said, it’s curious the organization felt the need for more toughness given it already has Theo Peckham, Mark Fistric and Ben Eager (not to mention the fact Darcy Hordichuk was sent to AHL Oklahoma City earlier this year.)
As for Toronto, it could afford to lose Brown.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (42)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)