Mar 4, 2013, 11:18 AM EST
The Edmonton Oilers beefed up their roster on Monday by acquiring Mike Brown from Toronto. In exchange, the Leafs get a fourth-round pick in 2014 that becomes a third-rounder if the Oilers make the playoffs this year.
Brown, 27, has appeared in 12 games for the Maple Leafs this season, recording one assist while racking up 70 PIM (with five fighting majors).
He averaged 4:39 time on ice per game, but hasn’t played since recording his lone point of the year in a loss to Montreal on Feb. 27.
It’s easy to see why this move was made.
Edmonton has openly stated its desire to add toughness in recent weeks — the team reportedly had interest in ex-Canuck Aaron Volpatti before he was claimed off waivers by the Capitals.
That said, it’s curious the organization felt the need for more toughness given it already has Theo Peckham, Mark Fistric and Ben Eager (not to mention the fact Darcy Hordichuk was sent to AHL Oklahoma City earlier this year.)
As for Toronto, it could afford to lose Brown.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 26
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)