Mar 4, 2013, 11:18 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers beefed up their roster on Monday by acquiring Mike Brown from Toronto. In exchange, the Leafs get a fourth-round pick in 2014 that becomes a third-rounder if the Oilers make the playoffs this year.
Brown, 27, has appeared in 12 games for the Maple Leafs this season, recording one assist while racking up 70 PIM (with five fighting majors).
He averaged 4:39 time on ice per game, but hasn’t played since recording his lone point of the year in a loss to Montreal on Feb. 27.
It’s easy to see why this move was made.
Edmonton has openly stated its desire to add toughness in recent weeks — the team reportedly had interest in ex-Canuck Aaron Volpatti before he was claimed off waivers by the Capitals.
That said, it’s curious the organization felt the need for more toughness given it already has Theo Peckham, Mark Fistric and Ben Eager (not to mention the fact Darcy Hordichuk was sent to AHL Oklahoma City earlier this year.)
As for Toronto, it could afford to lose Brown.
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 58
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)