Mar 4, 2013, 8:28 PM EDT
It appears that the Florida Panthers are facing a good news/bad news situation with goalie Jose Theodore, who’s suffering from a torn groin muscle from Saturday.
The good news is that he probably won’t need surgery, according to Theodore’s agent (via TVA’s L.A. Lariviere). Unfortunately, both Lariviere and TSN’s Bob McKenzie report that he’ll be out at least six weeks regardless.
In other words, whether he goes under the knife or not, it sounds like the 36-year-old netminder will miss most of the regular season (if not all).
This could be a blessing in disguise for the Panthers. They’ve been in a holding pattern in net with highly touted prospect Jacob Markstrom waiting in the wings and many wondering if they might even bring Roberto Luongo back.
Theodore should have plenty of motivation to attempt to play again this season, however. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent this summer, and at his advanced age, it might be difficult to land another job without proving he’s healthy.
Either way, it sounds like it’ll be a while before we see Theodore suit up again.
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 4
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)