Mar 4, 2013, 8:28 PM EDT
It appears that the Florida Panthers are facing a good news/bad news situation with goalie Jose Theodore, who’s suffering from a torn groin muscle from Saturday.
The good news is that he probably won’t need surgery, according to Theodore’s agent (via TVA’s L.A. Lariviere). Unfortunately, both Lariviere and TSN’s Bob McKenzie report that he’ll be out at least six weeks regardless.
In other words, whether he goes under the knife or not, it sounds like the 36-year-old netminder will miss most of the regular season (if not all).
This could be a blessing in disguise for the Panthers. They’ve been in a holding pattern in net with highly touted prospect Jacob Markstrom waiting in the wings and many wondering if they might even bring Roberto Luongo back.
Theodore should have plenty of motivation to attempt to play again this season, however. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent this summer, and at his advanced age, it might be difficult to land another job without proving he’s healthy.
Either way, it sounds like it’ll be a while before we see Theodore suit up again.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)