Mar 4, 2013, 8:28 PM EDT
It appears that the Florida Panthers are facing a good news/bad news situation with goalie Jose Theodore, who’s suffering from a torn groin muscle from Saturday.
The good news is that he probably won’t need surgery, according to Theodore’s agent (via TVA’s L.A. Lariviere). Unfortunately, both Lariviere and TSN’s Bob McKenzie report that he’ll be out at least six weeks regardless.
In other words, whether he goes under the knife or not, it sounds like the 36-year-old netminder will miss most of the regular season (if not all).
This could be a blessing in disguise for the Panthers. They’ve been in a holding pattern in net with highly touted prospect Jacob Markstrom waiting in the wings and many wondering if they might even bring Roberto Luongo back.
Theodore should have plenty of motivation to attempt to play again this season, however. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent this summer, and at his advanced age, it might be difficult to land another job without proving he’s healthy.
Either way, it sounds like it’ll be a while before we see Theodore suit up again.
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 2
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 1
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 28
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)