Mar 4, 2013, 8:28 PM EDT
It appears that the Florida Panthers are facing a good news/bad news situation with goalie Jose Theodore, who’s suffering from a torn groin muscle from Saturday.
The good news is that he probably won’t need surgery, according to Theodore’s agent (via TVA’s L.A. Lariviere). Unfortunately, both Lariviere and TSN’s Bob McKenzie report that he’ll be out at least six weeks regardless.
In other words, whether he goes under the knife or not, it sounds like the 36-year-old netminder will miss most of the regular season (if not all).
This could be a blessing in disguise for the Panthers. They’ve been in a holding pattern in net with highly touted prospect Jacob Markstrom waiting in the wings and many wondering if they might even bring Roberto Luongo back.
Theodore should have plenty of motivation to attempt to play again this season, however. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent this summer, and at his advanced age, it might be difficult to land another job without proving he’s healthy.
Either way, it sounds like it’ll be a while before we see Theodore suit up again.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)