Mar 4, 2013, 8:28 PM EST
It appears that the Florida Panthers are facing a good news/bad news situation with goalie Jose Theodore, who’s suffering from a torn groin muscle from Saturday.
The good news is that he probably won’t need surgery, according to Theodore’s agent (via TVA’s L.A. Lariviere). Unfortunately, both Lariviere and TSN’s Bob McKenzie report that he’ll be out at least six weeks regardless.
In other words, whether he goes under the knife or not, it sounds like the 36-year-old netminder will miss most of the regular season (if not all).
This could be a blessing in disguise for the Panthers. They’ve been in a holding pattern in net with highly touted prospect Jacob Markstrom waiting in the wings and many wondering if they might even bring Roberto Luongo back.
Theodore should have plenty of motivation to attempt to play again this season, however. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent this summer, and at his advanced age, it might be difficult to land another job without proving he’s healthy.
Either way, it sounds like it’ll be a while before we see Theodore suit up again.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 18
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 31
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 32
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 54
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 162
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (163)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (58)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)