Mar 4, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
The NHL’s lowest-scoring team added some punch up front on Monday as the Nashville Predators announced they claimed forward Bobby Butler off waivers from New Jersey.
Butler, 25, had appeared in 14 games with the Devils this season, registering 1G-1A-2PTS and a minus-6 rating while averaging just under 10 minutes per game.
The former University of New Hampshire standout was once pegged to be a solid scorer at the NHL level — he scored 21 points in his first 38 games with the Ottawa Senators — but has since fallen on tough times.
He only mustered 16 points in 56 games with the Sens a year ago, was allowed to walk as a free agent, then signed a one-year, two-way deal with the Devils in August.
“Definitely disappointing,” Butler told NorthJersey.com about being waived. “You obviously want to play in every game and be there and try to help the team win, but you can only control what you can control and just have to stay focused.”
With the move, Butler will be reunited with ex-Senators teammate Mike Fisher.
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 0
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 61
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)