Mar 4, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT
Sabres forward Patrick Kaleta was booted from Buffalo’s game against the New York Rangers on Sunday for checking star forward Brad Richards from behind. The NHL has scheduled a disciplinary hearing for this afternoon to determine if further punishment is warranted, according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
It will be a phone hearing, which means that Kaleta can’t be handed a suspension that lasts longer than five games.
If you missed the hit, you can view it below:
Fortunately that hit didn’t end Brad Richards’ night, but he wasn’t shy about voicing his displeasure over the incident.
“That’s not even a head shot. That’s stupidity,” Richards said.
“If we’re all gonna look at each other’s numbers and ram each other from behind head-first into the boards it’s gonna be a tough game to play,” Richards added. “That’s not hockey. I don’t know what game he plays, actually.”
Rangers coach John Tortorella felt that the hit was “ridiculous,” “disgusting,” and showed a “lack of respect.”
The Rangers did more than just voice their displeasure though. When Kaleta hit Richards, Buffalo was up 1-0 in the third period. The New York Rangers scored twice during the ensuing five-minute major and earned a 3-2 shootout victory.
“I think it maybe woke the Rangers up a little bit,” Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller said in a Sporting News report. “I think we had lulled them to sleep for two periods there, and that’s the risk you take being aggressive. Patty tried to be hard on the puck and made a mistake. You don’t like to see that kind of hit, and we paid the price for it pretty quick.”
Sabres coach Ron Rolston added that the team has “to be smarter in that situation.”
It looks like Kaleta doesn’t have many defenders of his hit.
May 27, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Anaheim has a chance to advance to the Stanley Cup Final tonight.
May 27, 2015, 5:24 PM EDT
After just one year in Pittsburgh.
May 27, 2015, 4:43 PM EDT
The ladies sure loved that guy.
May 27, 2015, 4:16 PM EDT
One of the many decisions facing new GM Don Sweeney.
May 27, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT
Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Final goes Friday at MSG.
May 27, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
The two men worked together for a season in New Jersey.
May 27, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
Tomas Fleischmann likely on his way out.
May 27, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
“We’re going to be embedded in this community.”
May 27, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
“I get the fact there were three goals that went in that were ugly. That’s the growth of a young player.”
May 27, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT
Either way, Kimmo Timonen is likely out.
May 27, 2015, 12:39 PM EDT
Rangers forward has had issues with it thus far.
May 27, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT
Former Panthers and Devils coach will take over a team that missed the playoffs for the first time since 2003.
May 27, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Remember when AV called the youngster out?
May 27, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
“Our door is open for the Capitals, absolutely first and foremost.”
May 27, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Veteran center enjoyed something of a career revival with the Oilers last season.
May 27, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT
Chicago fans are hoping that dream includes a Game 6 win.
May 27, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT
Give some credit to his linemates, including “energizer bunny” J.T. Miller.
May 27, 2015, 8:21 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
May 27, 2015, 12:59 AM EDT
Almost completely shut the door through two periods.
May 27, 2015, 12:09 AM EDT
Game 7. Friday in New York.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 0
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 5
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 14
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 34
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 12
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)