Mar 4, 2013, 9:50 AM EST
Sabres forward Patrick Kaleta was booted from Buffalo’s game against the New York Rangers on Sunday for checking star forward Brad Richards from behind. The NHL has scheduled a disciplinary hearing for this afternoon to determine if further punishment is warranted, according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
It will be a phone hearing, which means that Kaleta can’t be handed a suspension that lasts longer than five games.
If you missed the hit, you can view it below:
Fortunately that hit didn’t end Brad Richards’ night, but he wasn’t shy about voicing his displeasure over the incident.
“That’s not even a head shot. That’s stupidity,” Richards said.
“If we’re all gonna look at each other’s numbers and ram each other from behind head-first into the boards it’s gonna be a tough game to play,” Richards added. “That’s not hockey. I don’t know what game he plays, actually.”
Rangers coach John Tortorella felt that the hit was “ridiculous,” “disgusting,” and showed a “lack of respect.”
The Rangers did more than just voice their displeasure though. When Kaleta hit Richards, Buffalo was up 1-0 in the third period. The New York Rangers scored twice during the ensuing five-minute major and earned a 3-2 shootout victory.
“I think it maybe woke the Rangers up a little bit,” Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller said in a Sporting News report. “I think we had lulled them to sleep for two periods there, and that’s the risk you take being aggressive. Patty tried to be hard on the puck and made a mistake. You don’t like to see that kind of hit, and we paid the price for it pretty quick.”
Sabres coach Ron Rolston added that the team has “to be smarter in that situation.”
It looks like Kaleta doesn’t have many defenders of his hit.
Jan 27, 2015, 3:33 PM EST
He’ll play on the top line with John Tavares and Josh Bailey against the Rangers.
Jan 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EST
Kick off six straight games at Rogers Arena tonight versus Anaheim.
Goalie nods: Greiss starts for Pens, which has nothing to do with Fleury getting lit up at the All-Star Game
Jan 27, 2015, 2:27 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Jan 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
“We know what the standings look like. That’s no secret. But we can’t make up all those points this week.”
Jan 27, 2015, 1:38 PM EST
We already knew he tried to use Seattle for the same purpose.
Jan 27, 2015, 1:23 PM EST
And so ends one of the most storied goaltending careers in NHL history.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:56 PM EST
Bill Peters sounds fed up.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:35 PM EST
Defending champs are just 20-15-12 after 47 games.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:28 PM EST
After failing to find a trade partner for the 28-year-old.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:17 PM EST
Your move, Los Angeles.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
“He wants to build for the long term and he understands that there is some suffering involved.”
Jan 27, 2015, 11:43 AM EST
Bob Murray wants a defenseman, according to pretty much everyone.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:12 AM EST
The worst of the storm was saved for New England.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:48 AM EST
Get back into the swing of things.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:48 AM EST
“I’m still a little ways away. Hopefully I keep making the right strides.”
Jan 27, 2015, 9:41 AM EST
Update: Moving him might not be such a bad thing, really.
Jan 27, 2015, 8:28 AM EST
Tuesday’s snowy links.
Jan 27, 2015, 1:35 AM EST
He’ll likely start Tuesday paired with Dan Hamhuis.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:30 AM EST
Latvia could soon have another NHLer to cheer for.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EST
The Isles have won both meetings this season.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 20
- Mike Richards clears waivers 27
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)