Mar 4, 2013, 2:46 PM EDT
The banged-up Los Angeles blueline got some good news on Monday as Alec Martinez was told he’d be playing against Nashville, his first game since suffering an upper-body injury on Feb. 11.
Martinez, 25, is set to replace Davis Drewiske on the Kings’ blueline and, in doing so, will become the first of LA’s three injured regulars to return to action.
Martinez had been playing a vital role for the Kings prior to getting hurt, averaging nearly 19 minutes per game (a career-high) and had 1G-1A-2PTS through 11 games.
It’s been a tough campaign for Martinez injury-wise.
During the lockout, he suffered a scary injury after taking a puck to the face while playing for TPS Turku of Finland’s SM-liiga. The puck fractured his cheekbone, an injury that required surgery and a month on the shelf.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 7
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 5
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 48
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 78
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 48
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?