Mar 4, 2013, 12:14 PM EDT
After registering a least a point in all four games and racking up seven points in total, Montreal Canadiens winger Max Pacioretty was named the NHL’s first start of the week on Monday.
Pacioretty, 24, notched an assist against Ottawa, two goals against the Leafs and 1G-1A against the Penguins and Bruins — pacing the Canadiens to top spot in the Eastern Conference.
He now leads the Habs in scoring (8G-12A-20PTS) and sits 25th overall in the league.
Second star went to Boston center Patrice Bergeron.
Like Pacioretty, he also registered points in each of his four games last week, finishing with the league lead in both assists (five) and points (seven). Bergeron’s scoring binge moved him past teammates Brad Marchand, David Krejci and Tyler Seguin into Boston’s team scoring lead, with 18 points.
Third star went to Minnesota goalie Niklas Backstrom.
Backstrom, 35, went 3-0-0 with a 2.00 GAA as the Wild moved into sixth place in the Western Conference, just two points back of Northwest Division-leading Vancouver for third spot overall.
The Finnish netminder stopped 20 of 21 shots against Calgary, 25 of 28 against Phoenix and 19 of 21 against Edmonton and is now 9-5-2 on the year with a 2.21 GAA and .917 save percentage.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)