Mar 4, 2013, 1:58 PM EST
“I’m kinda disgusted with the hearing there,” Zolnierczyk told CSN Philadephia. “I just tried to deliver a hard hit and I apologized I got his head and that he was injured.
“I wish him the best. I hope he gets back soon.”
Zolnierczyk, 25, was given the four-game ban after a Sunday hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety. The hit earned him a five-minute charging major and game misconduct — the second time he’d been tossed in as many games.
The Brown University product said it wasn’t his intent to deliver a head shot on Lundin, and suggested his hit wouldn’t have been as severely punished in previous seasons.
“That is where we are right now in hockey,” Zolnierczyk said. “You can say years ago maybe it wasn’t a penalty, but right now, that is what we’re calling.
“That’s the way it is and that is the league’s decision. I gotta live with it now.”
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 1
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 50
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)