Mar 4, 2013, 1:58 PM EDT
“I’m kinda disgusted with the hearing there,” Zolnierczyk told CSN Philadephia. “I just tried to deliver a hard hit and I apologized I got his head and that he was injured.
“I wish him the best. I hope he gets back soon.”
Zolnierczyk, 25, was given the four-game ban after a Sunday hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety. The hit earned him a five-minute charging major and game misconduct — the second time he’d been tossed in as many games.
The Brown University product said it wasn’t his intent to deliver a head shot on Lundin, and suggested his hit wouldn’t have been as severely punished in previous seasons.
“That is where we are right now in hockey,” Zolnierczyk said. “You can say years ago maybe it wasn’t a penalty, but right now, that is what we’re calling.
“That’s the way it is and that is the league’s decision. I gotta live with it now.”
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 6
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 43
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 72
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 26
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40