Mar 4, 2013, 1:58 PM EDT
“I’m kinda disgusted with the hearing there,” Zolnierczyk told CSN Philadephia. “I just tried to deliver a hard hit and I apologized I got his head and that he was injured.
“I wish him the best. I hope he gets back soon.”
Zolnierczyk, 25, was given the four-game ban after a Sunday hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety. The hit earned him a five-minute charging major and game misconduct — the second time he’d been tossed in as many games.
The Brown University product said it wasn’t his intent to deliver a head shot on Lundin, and suggested his hit wouldn’t have been as severely punished in previous seasons.
“That is where we are right now in hockey,” Zolnierczyk said. “You can say years ago maybe it wasn’t a penalty, but right now, that is what we’re calling.
“That’s the way it is and that is the league’s decision. I gotta live with it now.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)