Mar 4, 2013, 1:58 PM EDT
“I’m kinda disgusted with the hearing there,” Zolnierczyk told CSN Philadephia. “I just tried to deliver a hard hit and I apologized I got his head and that he was injured.
“I wish him the best. I hope he gets back soon.”
Zolnierczyk, 25, was given the four-game ban after a Sunday hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety. The hit earned him a five-minute charging major and game misconduct — the second time he’d been tossed in as many games.
The Brown University product said it wasn’t his intent to deliver a head shot on Lundin, and suggested his hit wouldn’t have been as severely punished in previous seasons.
“That is where we are right now in hockey,” Zolnierczyk said. “You can say years ago maybe it wasn’t a penalty, but right now, that is what we’re calling.
“That’s the way it is and that is the league’s decision. I gotta live with it now.”
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)