Mar 4, 2013, 1:58 PM EST
“I’m kinda disgusted with the hearing there,” Zolnierczyk told CSN Philadephia. “I just tried to deliver a hard hit and I apologized I got his head and that he was injured.
“I wish him the best. I hope he gets back soon.”
Zolnierczyk, 25, was given the four-game ban after a Sunday hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety. The hit earned him a five-minute charging major and game misconduct — the second time he’d been tossed in as many games.
The Brown University product said it wasn’t his intent to deliver a head shot on Lundin, and suggested his hit wouldn’t have been as severely punished in previous seasons.
“That is where we are right now in hockey,” Zolnierczyk said. “You can say years ago maybe it wasn’t a penalty, but right now, that is what we’re calling.
“That’s the way it is and that is the league’s decision. I gotta live with it now.”
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)