Mar 4, 2013, 10:22 PM EDT
Johnson was cleared for contact and practiced hard on Sunday, according to the Denver Post. He’s been sidelined with a head injury since Feb. 11.
The 24-year-old blueliner was having a disappointing season (at least offensively) before getting hurt, as he failed to score a goal and had just one assist in 11 games. Still, he’s a big part of the Avalanche defense, averaging about 21 minutes per game the last two seasons.
It sounds like Johnson has an outside chance at playing against the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday, although it’s likely that he’ll need some more time.
Fellow defenseman Ryan Wilson (ankle) also practiced on Sunday. Technically, there’s no timetable for a return for either blueliner, although both are traveling with the team.
(H/T to Rotoworld)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)