Mar 4, 2013, 10:22 PM EDT
Johnson was cleared for contact and practiced hard on Sunday, according to the Denver Post. He’s been sidelined with a head injury since Feb. 11.
The 24-year-old blueliner was having a disappointing season (at least offensively) before getting hurt, as he failed to score a goal and had just one assist in 11 games. Still, he’s a big part of the Avalanche defense, averaging about 21 minutes per game the last two seasons.
It sounds like Johnson has an outside chance at playing against the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday, although it’s likely that he’ll need some more time.
Fellow defenseman Ryan Wilson (ankle) also practiced on Sunday. Technically, there’s no timetable for a return for either blueliner, although both are traveling with the team.
(H/T to Rotoworld)
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 0
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 47
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 22
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)