Mar 4, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
Johan Hedberg had a rough night on Monday, allowing some softies as Toronto beat New Jersey 4-2. The Devils have a goalie decision to make tomorrow, and head coach Peter DeBoer told the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti that he’s “a little bit” worried about the veteran’s confidence.
Hedberg, 39, has frequently been strong in relief of Brodeur in recent years, but things have been ugly during this skid. He’s gone 0-4-1 in those five games, allowing 17 goals in the process.
The aging backup didn’t sugarcoat his struggles to Gulitti.
“Tonight we were playing well enough to win. We need some saves. Seriously,” Hedberg said. “I’ve got to play better for us to get out of this.”
The Devils have slumped their way to seventh place in the East with 25 points in 22 games (10-7-5).
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 1
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 3
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)