Mar 4, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
Johan Hedberg had a rough night on Monday, allowing some softies as Toronto beat New Jersey 4-2. The Devils have a goalie decision to make tomorrow, and head coach Peter DeBoer told the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti that he’s “a little bit” worried about the veteran’s confidence.
Hedberg, 39, has frequently been strong in relief of Brodeur in recent years, but things have been ugly during this skid. He’s gone 0-4-1 in those five games, allowing 17 goals in the process.
The aging backup didn’t sugarcoat his struggles to Gulitti.
“Tonight we were playing well enough to win. We need some saves. Seriously,” Hedberg said. “I’ve got to play better for us to get out of this.”
The Devils have slumped their way to seventh place in the East with 25 points in 22 games (10-7-5).
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Getting clutch? Capitals reportedly sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 8
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 21
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)