Despite feeling like a ‘bag of garbage,’ Kaleta sticks up for himself

Mar 4, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT

Patrick Kaleta Getty Images

Facing a suspension for his crosscheck from behind on Rangers forward Brad Richards, Buffalo’s Patrick Kaleta admitted today that he felt like a “bag of garbage” for putting his team in a bad spot, but he’s not willing to accept the accusation that he can’t be an honest player.

“I have changed my game. I know I have,” said Kaleta (audio), “and I know players have seen that, and even referees have come up and said, ‘Hey, I respect what you’ve done so far, and as long as you keep showing that respect towards us, then we’ll respect you.’ I loved hearing that, knowing that they’ve seen a change in my game. So I know I’ve changed my game.”

When asked if he had a message for Richards, Kaleta paused before saying, “I’m fine for right now.”

In July, the Sabres gave Kaleta a new three-year contract, at which point general manager Darcy Regier praised the 26-year-0ld for the “growth in his game.”

“I think at times he was probably guilty of being reckless, not for personal gain, usually for team gain, taking his hands in front of shots, stuff like that,” said Regier. “He’s learning how to adapt to the rules, how to become more valuable for the team. He’s a very good penalty killer. He’s a fearless player. He’s a tough player to play against, and I think you’ll really see his game grow over the next few years.”

Related: Tortorella calls Kaleta’s check ‘one of the most dangerous hits I’ve ever seen’

Latest Posts
  1. Pens are uncertain if Malkin can play opening night

Oct 1, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v New York Rangers - Game Six Getty Images

“The next few days will be the turning point,” GM Jim Rutherford said.

2. Trotz wants to manage Ovechkin’s time on power play

Oct 1, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

Alex Ovechkin AP

It’s not as foolish as it sounds … maybe.

3. It is an ‘important week’ regarding Alfredsson’s future with Detroit

Oct 1, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT

Henrik Zetterberg, Daniel Alfredsson AP

According to fellow Swede and Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg.

4. Coyotes’ King headed back to Russia

Oct 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

DaveKing AP

Where he’ll resume coaching duties for KHL Lokomotiv.

5. B’s send four to AHL, including Spooner and Florek

Oct 1, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Winnipeg Jets Getty Images

Didn’t take advantage of their opportunities.

6. NHL refutes report, says no meeting planned with IOC on Olympic participation

Oct 1, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT

Sweden men's ice hockey player Nicklas Backstrom skates during a team practice at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Reuters

“We have not been in contact with the IOC and they have not been in touch with us.”

7. Jackets lose Jenner (hand surgery) for five weeks

Oct 1, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT

Boone Jenner #38 of the Columbus Blue Jackets skates against the New York Islanders at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum on October 5, 2013 in Uniondale, New York. The Blue Jackets defeated the Islanders 3-2 in the shootout.
(October 4, 2013 - Source: Bruce Bennett/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

Meaning all of Columbus’ No. 1 line — Jenner, Ryan Johansen and Nathan Horton — is now out of action.

8. Wild lose Fontaine to lower-body injury

Oct 1, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT

Chicago Blackhawks v Minnesota Wild - Game Six Getty Images

He won’t be ready for the season opener.

9. Blues waive Mueller and Prosser

Oct 1, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT

Mathias Seger, Peter Mueller AP

Both have one-year, two-way contracts.

10. Flyers send prospects Laughton, Gostisbehere to AHL

Oct 1, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT

ScottLaughton Getty Images

And Zack Stortini has been placed on waivers.

11. Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’

Oct 1, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT

Claude Julien Getty Images

“You can tell a guy ‘don’t dive’, but even on our team we’ve seen a few of them.”

12. Flames make camp cuts, release Brookbank from PTO

Oct 1, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT

Calgary Flames v Anaheim Ducks Calgary Flames v Anaheim Ducks

Another veteran d-man, Nolan Yonkman, was also released.

13. Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season

Oct 1, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT

Mike Babcock AP

“But we’ve talked and we’ll continue to talk about it.”

14. Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition

Oct 1, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT

Sidney Crosby Getty Images

A rookie head coach, some significant roster turnover and the annual questions in goal.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches