Canucks’ head coach was livid about Sunday’s bench minor

Mar 4, 2013, 7:22 PM EDT

Vancouver Canucks v Boston Bruins - Game Six Getty Images

The Vancouver Canucks had a frustrating Sunday, experiencing weather-related flight delays and eventually losing to the Calgary Flames 4-2. Head coach Alain Vigneault was more frustrated with the officiating than anything else last night, it seemed.

Vigneault was clearly upset with a two-minute bench minor he received 10:35 into the third period for “abuse of an official.”

His post-game comments might raise a few eyebrows around the league (warning: a bit on the NSFW side):

Speaking of accountability, it’s common for coaches in various leagues to get fined for criticizing officials. The NHL does so, but we might not find out if Vigneault’s wallet is a little lighter after that tirade, as the Vancouver Sun’s Brad Ziemer notes.

Hey, if nothing else, Vigneault might have some more common ground with 2011 Stanley Cup finals rival Claude Julien. The Boston Bruins bench boss found himself fuming about officiating on Sunday, as well.

The Canucks killed the minor penalty but then allowed a Jarome Iginla shortly after David Booth left the box in Vigneault’s place.

1. csilojohnson - Mar 4, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Please include written descriptions of the videos. Given 99% of them do not work on your mobile app.
    Or fix your app….too much to ask? I do have to avoid looking at your ad bar after all…

• esracerx46 - Mar 4, 2013 at 7:40 PM

get a computer…app fixed

2. esracerx46 - Mar 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Constant whining seems to nag on people Mr. Vigneault. Officials are part of that group too. Perhaps your “that’s an elbow” statement was the last straw?

• gramkind - Mar 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM

So you want refs to make calls based on how much they like or do not like someone? I would kind of hope rules were rules. No doubt AV and the rest of the Canucks have some pretty bad reps and a lot of it deserved, but personal feelings have no place in calls.

3. jpat2424 - Mar 4, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Cry cry cry

4. thehighcountrybear - Mar 4, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Have to agree with Vigneault…too many rabbit-eared officials, and too many officials who want to be part of the show [ Stephen Walkom's the worst of those...anal to the nth degree ]! I can’t recall seeing Alain abusing anyone let alone an official…he’s a true gentleman! It was a bogus call, and it’s time the officials were brought into line for general incompetencies on display game in and game out. They have to be reminded nobody pays money to see them perform, and they have to be reminded they must call games with absolute objectivity free of personal bias…

• ikillchicken - Mar 4, 2013 at 8:29 PM

You know, maybe I should applaud you for being even handed here…but I just can’t help but wonder, if Julien wasn’t just in the media for doing the exact same thing, would you be singing the same tune?

5. r8rbhawk - Mar 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Don’t worry Elaine, you’ll start to see calls go your way when Mike Gillis starts whining. Remember the 2011 quarterfinals against the Blackhawks?

• loinstache - Mar 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM

hahahah a hawks fan complaining of biased officiating

anywho there were a couple of missed calls in favour of the canucks that game (and I’m a canucks fan) and so I saw AVs penalty struck me as the make up call especially as the refs did not consider the hit on Tanev a penalty (it was but regardless). not an excuse, but my interpretation of the situation. AV should have kept his trap shut but calling a minor on a coach for saying “that’s an elbow” is petty regardless of context

6. interiorfan - Mar 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I agree with csilojohnson…..fix your app so the video works. And to the “get a computer”guy…..The mobile device is designed to be used with apps. It’s just that this app doesn’t work well.

7. shutyourfivehole - Mar 4, 2013 at 10:48 PM

When isn’t this guy whining?

8. blomfeld - Mar 4, 2013 at 11:25 PM

IS THERE A STORM BREWING ?

Even though I’m an ardent and loyal supporter of the LA Kings, I still follow the Canucks more than any other professional sports team, mostly due to my domicile in this city. And therefore I like to think of myself as usually being “on the pulse” of what this team is up to. Now don’t ask me what, but something in this piece with AV definitely tells me that something is brewing here, something very big. Through thick and thin, I have “never” seen AV in this light before? Anger, fear, confusion and apprehension are just a few of the words which immediately come to mind when listening to this riveting piece. It’s as though he’s aware of a perceived danger which is fast approaching, yet he’s completely powerless to do anything about it?

Friends, I believe that a solution for the “Luongo Question” is now in the final stages of preparation and that an announcement will be forthcoming shortly. And if that’s the case, then AV in his position would no doubt be only too aware. Perhaps he’s angry at being excluded from the trade discussions? Perhaps he’s fearful that Luongo’s departure will impact his career negatively? Or perhaps he’s simply confused by the harsh reality that the perk of having two # 1′s is soon coming to an end?

We don’t know the answers yet, but I do believe that we will soon. And if it’s any consolation to AV, then he should remember that often a storm is followed by blue skies and joy. Not to mention the fact that Cory Schneider is one of the league’s top net minders! :)

• hempoilcures - Mar 5, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Hope you are right…have to get LOOOOOOOu out and now. Maybe it will be Schnieder that gets traded and that is why he is pissed?

9. jpat2424 - Mar 5, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Typical Canucks. Coaches, players and fans.

10. steverolley - Mar 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM

You could hear Vigneault screaming at the ref on the TV Broadcast. This is the second time this year that the Canucks have taken a penalty for yelling at an official in the third period and its cost them both times.

I would of liked to see Vigneault take resposibility for the penalty. I know when Kassian took the same penalty he was lit up by the media for a selfish play, yet again Vigneault seems to skate away un touched

11. sc334233 - Mar 6, 2013 at 4:57 AM

This about sums up the Canucks franchise, AV, and their fans:

and it is deserved.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches