Mar 4, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
While franchise goalie Cam Ward‘s knee injury is by far the biggest concern, it appears that Chad LaRose also might have gotten hurt during the Carolina Hurricanes’ costly home-and-home series with the Florida Panthers during the weekend.
LaRose, 30, has been diagnosed with a concussion, according to the Raleigh News & Observer’s Chip Alexander.
There aren’t many details about the injury yet, including what hit might have caused it.
The rugged winger missed Sunday’s rematch against the Panthers after playing 14 minutes on Saturday.
In previous seasons, this loss would be a little more significant.
The acquisitions of Alexander Semin and Jordan Staal bumped LaRose down the lineup. He’s now averaging about 12 and a half minutes after ranging between 15 and 16:45 the last four campaigns. That lowered ice time shows in his offensive numbers, as he only has three points in 19 games after scoring about 30 per season.
Even with that reduced role for LaRose, the Canes must be a little concerned that injuries are starting to pile up.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)