Mar 4, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
While franchise goalie Cam Ward‘s knee injury is by far the biggest concern, it appears that Chad LaRose also might have gotten hurt during the Carolina Hurricanes’ costly home-and-home series with the Florida Panthers during the weekend.
LaRose, 30, has been diagnosed with a concussion, according to the Raleigh News & Observer’s Chip Alexander.
There aren’t many details about the injury yet, including what hit might have caused it.
The rugged winger missed Sunday’s rematch against the Panthers after playing 14 minutes on Saturday.
In previous seasons, this loss would be a little more significant.
The acquisitions of Alexander Semin and Jordan Staal bumped LaRose down the lineup. He’s now averaging about 12 and a half minutes after ranging between 15 and 16:45 the last four campaigns. That lowered ice time shows in his offensive numbers, as he only has three points in 19 games after scoring about 30 per season.
Even with that reduced role for LaRose, the Canes must be a little concerned that injuries are starting to pile up.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)