Mar 4, 2013, 10:20 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes earned a 3-2 victory against Florida on Sunday, but the cost was high.
Starting goaltender Cam Ward left the game with what the Hurricanes have revealed to be a third-degree MCL sprain. The 29-year-old netminder won’t need surgery, but he isn’t expected to play for the next six to eight weeks.
Given that there’s a little under eight weeks left in the regular season, the Hurricanes won’t be able to rely on him making any further contributions to their battle for a playoff spot.
It sounds like Carolina has no immediate plans to trade for another goaltender. Instead, the Hurricanes will rely on Dan Ellis and 26-year-old goaltender Justin Peters, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
Ellis has endured an up-and-down career, but he’s been a solid backup so far this season. Peters has excelled at the AHL level, but only has 28 NHL contests under his belt.
In an odd twist, Ward’s injury came just one day after Panthers starting goaltender Jose Theodore suffered a significant groin injury in the first game of Florida’s home-and-away series with Carolina.
Sep 24, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
They weren’t expected to be favorites with him at full-strength.
Sep 23, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Brutal luck in a preseason game.
Sep 23, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Tuesday presented him with a “what did I get myself into?” moment.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Tough preseason contest for Philly’s No.1 goalie.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Latest update: He’s on crutches and it might not be knee-related.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:56 PM EDT
This post will include updates if they’re made available.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Buffalo holds him out for the rest of the game.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
He’s straightforward about it, at least.
Sep 23, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Vladimir Sobotka might say that’s actually a big gap, though.
Sep 23, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
The jump to Xbox One and Playstation 4 has been bumpy.
Sep 23, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
“It’s nothing new to me.”
Sep 23, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
That was quick.
Sep 23, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Sep 23, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
So, you know, hurry up and sign, kid.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
And Erik Karlsson’s the favorite to win the Norris.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
Which will reportedly begin in September of 2016.
Sep 23, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
First part of the two-part series starts in December.
Sep 23, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Sep 23, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Who will Ted Nolan choose?
Sep 23, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Courtesy a Beau Bennett high stick.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)