Mar 4, 2013, 1:39 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning are just 3-10-1 over their last 14 and now sit 13th in the Eastern Conference, a startling fall for a team that started the year 6-1-0, outscoring opponents 37-18.
Head coach Guy Boucher is trying to stay positive during the slump, but also wants to keep it real (so to speak).
Specifically, by telling his troops they’re keeping themselves from being successful.
“We have to find a way not to sabotage ourselves,” Boucher told the Tampa Bay Tribune. “Because that’s what we have been doing and it’s hard because I would love to be able to teach some of that stuff but they are just decisions at moments that cost us.”
Garon has been the goalie of record in Tampa Bay’s last five games, due in large part to the inexperienced Lindback learning on the job — a process that’s come with some bumps and bruises.
“[Lindback] has to go through the process,” Boucher told the Tribune prior to making the switch to Garon. “You can’t buy a process, because if you buy the process, everybody would be great. It’s just the process of time and experience, it’s mistakes, it’s correcting and it’s preparation.
“That’s what it is, right now for him he’s going through the exact process all young goalies have to go through.”
Looking ahead, the next two weeks could make or break Tampa’s season entirely. The last real solid homestand of the season begins on Mar. 7 — the Bolts play five of six at home from the 7th to 18th.
That’s important, because the Lightning will play eight of their final 13 regular season games on the road.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)