Mar 4, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
Bennett, the 20th overall pick in the 2010 draft, had a goal and two assists in eight games with the Pens. The 21-year-old scored his first NHL goal against Tampa Bay on Feb. 24.
The Penguins also placed forward Zach Boychuk on waivers today, the same day the club announced the return of forward Evgeni Malkin to tonight’s lineup.
Boychuk, 23, failed to notch a point in seven games after being picked up from Carolina.
It’s possible Bennett could be called back if Boychuk is claimed or sent down.
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 12
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28