Mar 3, 2013, 4:33 PM EDT
Brendan Shanahan and the Office of Player Safety handed out a four-game suspension to the Flyers forward for his reckless charge into Ottawa defenseman Mike Lundin. The ban will cost Zolnierczyk $12,972.96 in salary that goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Lundin suffered a concussion on the play and that injury helped play a part in earning Zolnierczyk a hefty suspension as a first-time offender. For the full explanation from Shanahan, let’s go to the video.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54