Mar 3, 2013, 4:33 PM EDT
Brendan Shanahan and the Office of Player Safety handed out a four-game suspension to the Flyers forward for his reckless charge into Ottawa defenseman Mike Lundin. The ban will cost Zolnierczyk $12,972.96 in salary that goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Lundin suffered a concussion on the play and that injury helped play a part in earning Zolnierczyk a hefty suspension as a first-time offender. For the full explanation from Shanahan, let’s go to the video.
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 2
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 20
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 37
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 57
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 15
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 42
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20