Mar 3, 2013, 9:28 PM EDT
Ryan O’Reilly and the Colorado Avalanche completed their reunion on Sunday after an awkward contract negotiation estrangement. His first game back didn’t really go as planned.
The Avalanche lost 2-1 to the Columbus Blue Jackets in overtime, in part because of this unfortunate mistake by O’Reilly:
One can only imagine the jokes that must have been floating around about O’Reilly, 22, scoring that own goal “on purpose.”
The young forward owned up to the mistake to the Denver Post.
“Bad play by me there. I got to be strong on my stick and get it out of there,” O’Reilly said. “If I do that we probably win that game.”
Getty Images captures the moment:
To be fair, it’s been about nine months since he last played in an NHL game. He played just under 16 minutes (15:52) in the game, failing to register a shot or hit while going 9-14 in the faceoff circle.
Oddly enough, he also switched numbers; O’Reilly went from No. 37 to No. 90 for some reason.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 1
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 34
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 22
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 21
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 8
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)