Mar 3, 2013, 9:28 PM EDT
Ryan O’Reilly and the Colorado Avalanche completed their reunion on Sunday after an awkward contract negotiation estrangement. His first game back didn’t really go as planned.
The Avalanche lost 2-1 to the Columbus Blue Jackets in overtime, in part because of this unfortunate mistake by O’Reilly:
One can only imagine the jokes that must have been floating around about O’Reilly, 22, scoring that own goal “on purpose.”
The young forward owned up to the mistake to the Denver Post.
“Bad play by me there. I got to be strong on my stick and get it out of there,” O’Reilly said. “If I do that we probably win that game.”
Getty Images captures the moment:
To be fair, it’s been about nine months since he last played in an NHL game. He played just under 16 minutes (15:52) in the game, failing to register a shot or hit while going 9-14 in the faceoff circle.
Oddly enough, he also switched numbers; O’Reilly went from No. 37 to No. 90 for some reason.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)