Mar 3, 2013, 9:28 PM EDT
Ryan O’Reilly and the Colorado Avalanche completed their reunion on Sunday after an awkward contract negotiation estrangement. His first game back didn’t really go as planned.
The Avalanche lost 2-1 to the Columbus Blue Jackets in overtime, in part because of this unfortunate mistake by O’Reilly:
One can only imagine the jokes that must have been floating around about O’Reilly, 22, scoring that own goal “on purpose.”
The young forward owned up to the mistake to the Denver Post.
“Bad play by me there. I got to be strong on my stick and get it out of there,” O’Reilly said. “If I do that we probably win that game.”
Getty Images captures the moment:
To be fair, it’s been about nine months since he last played in an NHL game. He played just under 16 minutes (15:52) in the game, failing to register a shot or hit while going 9-14 in the faceoff circle.
Oddly enough, he also switched numbers; O’Reilly went from No. 37 to No. 90 for some reason.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 29
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 37
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 17
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (44)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)