Mar 3, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
It’s no secret that Brad Richards has struggled this season with the New York Rangers. The team isn’t doing as well as they did last year, the offense is struggling, and they’re fighting to get into playoff position.
While Richards had a strong game on Thursday night with Rick Nash‘s return, Rangers coach John Tortorella offered up a different explanation for why his top centerman has had trouble this year as he shared on the team’s website.
“I think Brad played his best game of the season on Thursday,” said Tortorella. “He cares so much, and sometimes I wish he didn’t care as much because it paralyzes him a little bit. He allowed himself to play, and you could just see the flow in his game (Thursday). It’s encouraging.”
Of all the reasons for a guy to struggle, caring too much is up there as one of the more unique ones. That said, with the team playing the way they have, trying too hard can lead to mistakes and squeezing the stick a little too tight. Now that the Rangers are getting healthy again, maybe a few other guys can help Richards not care quite so much.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 29
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)