Mar 3, 2013, 10:46 PM EST
You know things are bad for the Edmonton Oilers when fans start sharpening their knives for GM Steve Tambellini.
Sunday’s highlight during an embarrassing 4-2 loss to the Minnesota Wild was this sardonic Tweet from Oilers blog Copper & Blue:
Johnny Cash built his car one piece at a time faster than the Oilers have rebuilt their team.
— Copper & Blue (@CopperandBlue) March 4, 2013
It’s hard to blame Oilers fans and observers for going a little grim after a night like this.
The low point came in the second period; the Wild out-shot the Oilers 18-0 in the middle frame. (No, that’s not a typo.)
Amazingly, Devan Dubnyk kept Minnesota from scoring during that ludicrously lopsided 20 minutes, but the Wild got to him enough for the win. He stopped 39 out of their 43 shots.
“We obviously can’t play that way if we expect to win,” Gagner said. “It’s a wake-up call. We need to find a way to raise our level.”
If not, there might be some changes.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)