Mar 3, 2013, 10:46 PM EDT
You know things are bad for the Edmonton Oilers when fans start sharpening their knives for GM Steve Tambellini.
Sunday’s highlight during an embarrassing 4-2 loss to the Minnesota Wild was this sardonic Tweet from Oilers blog Copper & Blue:
Johnny Cash built his car one piece at a time faster than the Oilers have rebuilt their team.
— Copper & Blue (@CopperandBlue) March 4, 2013
It’s hard to blame Oilers fans and observers for going a little grim after a night like this.
The low point came in the second period; the Wild out-shot the Oilers 18-0 in the middle frame. (No, that’s not a typo.)
Amazingly, Devan Dubnyk kept Minnesota from scoring during that ludicrously lopsided 20 minutes, but the Wild got to him enough for the win. He stopped 39 out of their 43 shots.
“We obviously can’t play that way if we expect to win,” Gagner said. “It’s a wake-up call. We need to find a way to raise our level.”
If not, there might be some changes.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 28
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 41
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 29
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 59
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6