Mar 3, 2013, 10:46 PM EDT
You know things are bad for the Edmonton Oilers when fans start sharpening their knives for GM Steve Tambellini.
Sunday’s highlight during an embarrassing 4-2 loss to the Minnesota Wild was this sardonic Tweet from Oilers blog Copper & Blue:
Johnny Cash built his car one piece at a time faster than the Oilers have rebuilt their team.
— Copper & Blue (@CopperandBlue) March 4, 2013
It’s hard to blame Oilers fans and observers for going a little grim after a night like this.
The low point came in the second period; the Wild out-shot the Oilers 18-0 in the middle frame. (No, that’s not a typo.)
Amazingly, Devan Dubnyk kept Minnesota from scoring during that ludicrously lopsided 20 minutes, but the Wild got to him enough for the win. He stopped 39 out of their 43 shots.
“We obviously can’t play that way if we expect to win,” Gagner said. “It’s a wake-up call. We need to find a way to raise our level.”
If not, there might be some changes.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)