Mar 3, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings pushed the Chicago Blackhawks – and their two impressive streaks – to the limit on Sunday, but Chicago managed a 2-1 shootout win.
They increased their NHL record point streak to start a season at 22 games and tied the 1977-78 Montreal Canadiens with their 28th game with at least one point (extending back to the end of last season) in the process. Let’s get to the talking points:
- Patrick Kane scored the game-tying goal and shootout winner. Where does he rank among the NHL’s elite?
- Some might be upset that a delay of game penalty opened the door for Kane to score on the power play. Does that over-the-glass automatic minor need to go or is it a necessary evil?
- When’s the last time you saw a better 2-1 game? Many said it and it’s true: Sunday presented a real “playoff atmosphere.”
- Marian Hossa hit regular season game 1,000. How many do you expect him to finish with?
- Can Chicago catch the 1979-80 Philadelphia Flyers at 35 consecutive games with at least one point? Which opponents represent the biggest threats?
- Speaking of threats, should the ‘Hawks cross their fingers that they don’t draw Detroit in the playoffs? The Red Wings clearly gave them a challenge.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 2
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 22
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)