Mar 3, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings pushed the Chicago Blackhawks – and their two impressive streaks – to the limit on Sunday, but Chicago managed a 2-1 shootout win.
They increased their NHL record point streak to start a season at 22 games and tied the 1977-78 Montreal Canadiens with their 28th game with at least one point (extending back to the end of last season) in the process. Let’s get to the talking points:
- Patrick Kane scored the game-tying goal and shootout winner. Where does he rank among the NHL’s elite?
- Some might be upset that a delay of game penalty opened the door for Kane to score on the power play. Does that over-the-glass automatic minor need to go or is it a necessary evil?
- When’s the last time you saw a better 2-1 game? Many said it and it’s true: Sunday presented a real “playoff atmosphere.”
- Marian Hossa hit regular season game 1,000. How many do you expect him to finish with?
- Can Chicago catch the 1979-80 Philadelphia Flyers at 35 consecutive games with at least one point? Which opponents represent the biggest threats?
- Speaking of threats, should the ‘Hawks cross their fingers that they don’t draw Detroit in the playoffs? The Red Wings clearly gave them a challenge.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 8
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)