Mar 3, 2013, 9:35 AM EDT
One of the unfortunate casualties of the NHL lockout was the All-Star Game in Columbus being canceled. While some don’t care for the mostly annual event, Ohio’s capital city was looking forward to hosting their first marquee NHL event since the 2007 draft.
According to Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch, the mayor of Columbus would like to know when, exactly, they’ll be getting their opportunity to host the All-Star Game.
Mayor Michael B. Coleman sent a letter to the league asking for the league to let them know if they have answers for their worries because they’d like to have the city prepared in advance. Getting things like hotels and convention centers booked and set aside in advance is kind of important.
Portzline notes the issue with wanting answers now is that the question over NHL participation in the Olympics in 2014 has yet to be answered and the league may have already picked out Toronto to host the 2015 All-Star Game on the sly. Making the city wait til 2016 seems a bit cruel, but it’s not unprecedented.
The 2005 All-Star Game that was wiped out by the lockout that season was supposed to be held in Atlanta but they didn’t get a make-up game until 2008. The same sort of interruption thanks to the Olympics in 2006 also happened then. Perhaps by 2016 the Blue Jackets might have all-stars of their own to tout.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal