Mar 3, 2013, 9:35 AM EDT
One of the unfortunate casualties of the NHL lockout was the All-Star Game in Columbus being canceled. While some don’t care for the mostly annual event, Ohio’s capital city was looking forward to hosting their first marquee NHL event since the 2007 draft.
According to Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch, the mayor of Columbus would like to know when, exactly, they’ll be getting their opportunity to host the All-Star Game.
Mayor Michael B. Coleman sent a letter to the league asking for the league to let them know if they have answers for their worries because they’d like to have the city prepared in advance. Getting things like hotels and convention centers booked and set aside in advance is kind of important.
Portzline notes the issue with wanting answers now is that the question over NHL participation in the Olympics in 2014 has yet to be answered and the league may have already picked out Toronto to host the 2015 All-Star Game on the sly. Making the city wait til 2016 seems a bit cruel, but it’s not unprecedented.
The 2005 All-Star Game that was wiped out by the lockout that season was supposed to be held in Atlanta but they didn’t get a make-up game until 2008. The same sort of interruption thanks to the Olympics in 2006 also happened then. Perhaps by 2016 the Blue Jackets might have all-stars of their own to tout.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)