Mar 3, 2013, 7:43 PM EDT
While the Carolina Hurricanes are in a good position to bolster their Southeast Division lead this weekend, it might come at the cost of some key players.
The Raleigh News & Observer’s Luke DeCock reports that Ward, 29, was banged up as the result of a collision that began between Justin Faulk and Jack Skille. It seems like his ankle was pinned against the post after Faulk slid into him, possibly resulting in an ankle or groin injury.
He briefly remained in Carolina’s net but eventually elected to leave the game. DeCock said that Ward did not look good exiting the ice. At the moment, the severity of the injury is unclear.
Ward has played the majority of Carolina’s games this season, yet one bright side is that backup Dan Ellis generated nice numbers in his spot starts. The 32-year-old’s record isn’t great (3-2-0), but he has a better save percentage (.925 to .905) and GAA (2.39 to 2.93) than Ward so far in 2013.
That’s a small sample size, yet if Ward’s issue is significant, it could be a great opportunity for Ellis (who’s an unrestricted free agent after this season) to prove his value.
As you can see from this post, it’s possible both teams might lose their No. 1 goalies to injuries during this weekend’s home-and-home series.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 3
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 7
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 54
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination