Mar 3, 2013, 7:43 PM EDT
While the Carolina Hurricanes are in a good position to bolster their Southeast Division lead this weekend, it might come at the cost of some key players.
The Raleigh News & Observer’s Luke DeCock reports that Ward, 29, was banged up as the result of a collision that began between Justin Faulk and Jack Skille. It seems like his ankle was pinned against the post after Faulk slid into him, possibly resulting in an ankle or groin injury.
He briefly remained in Carolina’s net but eventually elected to leave the game. DeCock said that Ward did not look good exiting the ice. At the moment, the severity of the injury is unclear.
Ward has played the majority of Carolina’s games this season, yet one bright side is that backup Dan Ellis generated nice numbers in his spot starts. The 32-year-old’s record isn’t great (3-2-0), but he has a better save percentage (.925 to .905) and GAA (2.39 to 2.93) than Ward so far in 2013.
That’s a small sample size, yet if Ward’s issue is significant, it could be a great opportunity for Ellis (who’s an unrestricted free agent after this season) to prove his value.
As you can see from this post, it’s possible both teams might lose their No. 1 goalies to injuries during this weekend’s home-and-home series.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)