Mar 3, 2013, 7:43 PM EST
While the Carolina Hurricanes are in a good position to bolster their Southeast Division lead this weekend, it might come at the cost of some key players.
The Raleigh News & Observer’s Luke DeCock reports that Ward, 29, was banged up as the result of a collision that began between Justin Faulk and Jack Skille. It seems like his ankle was pinned against the post after Faulk slid into him, possibly resulting in an ankle or groin injury.
He briefly remained in Carolina’s net but eventually elected to leave the game. DeCock said that Ward did not look good exiting the ice. At the moment, the severity of the injury is unclear.
Ward has played the majority of Carolina’s games this season, yet one bright side is that backup Dan Ellis generated nice numbers in his spot starts. The 32-year-old’s record isn’t great (3-2-0), but he has a better save percentage (.925 to .905) and GAA (2.39 to 2.93) than Ward so far in 2013.
That’s a small sample size, yet if Ward’s issue is significant, it could be a great opportunity for Ellis (who’s an unrestricted free agent after this season) to prove his value.
As you can see from this post, it’s possible both teams might lose their No. 1 goalies to injuries during this weekend’s home-and-home series.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)