Mar 3, 2013, 5:34 PM EDT
While Artem Anisimov seemed to avoid a new injury, the Columbus Blue Jackets didn’t get through Sunday unscathed. Defenseman Nikita Nikitin suffered an upper-body issue and didn’t return against the Colorado Avalanche today, according to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline.
If Nikitin, 26, is out for an extended amount of time, it would add another player to the team’s swelling injury list.
Looking at defensemen alone, Nikitin could be added to a list that includes John Moore (upper-body), James Wisniewski (foot) and Jack Johnson (upper-body). Forwards Derick Brassard and Brandon Dubinsky are also dealing with bumps and bruises of their own.
Nikitin produced a meager four points and a -4 rating in 18 games going into Sunday, but with an average of 22:35 minutes per game, it’s clear that Columbus is in danger of losing another important piece.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8