Mar 3, 2013, 5:34 PM EDT
While Artem Anisimov seemed to avoid a new injury, the Columbus Blue Jackets didn’t get through Sunday unscathed. Defenseman Nikita Nikitin suffered an upper-body issue and didn’t return against the Colorado Avalanche today, according to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline.
If Nikitin, 26, is out for an extended amount of time, it would add another player to the team’s swelling injury list.
Looking at defensemen alone, Nikitin could be added to a list that includes John Moore (upper-body), James Wisniewski (foot) and Jack Johnson (upper-body). Forwards Derick Brassard and Brandon Dubinsky are also dealing with bumps and bruises of their own.
Nikitin produced a meager four points and a -4 rating in 18 games going into Sunday, but with an average of 22:35 minutes per game, it’s clear that Columbus is in danger of losing another important piece.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 13
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)