Mar 3, 2013, 5:34 PM EDT
While Artem Anisimov seemed to avoid a new injury, the Columbus Blue Jackets didn’t get through Sunday unscathed. Defenseman Nikita Nikitin suffered an upper-body issue and didn’t return against the Colorado Avalanche today, according to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline.
If Nikitin, 26, is out for an extended amount of time, it would add another player to the team’s swelling injury list.
Looking at defensemen alone, Nikitin could be added to a list that includes John Moore (upper-body), James Wisniewski (foot) and Jack Johnson (upper-body). Forwards Derick Brassard and Brandon Dubinsky are also dealing with bumps and bruises of their own.
Nikitin produced a meager four points and a -4 rating in 18 games going into Sunday, but with an average of 22:35 minutes per game, it’s clear that Columbus is in danger of losing another important piece.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)