Mar 3, 2013, 8:35 PM EDT
Weather issues forced the Vancouver Canucks to arrive in Calgary for Sunday’s game against the Flames later than anticipated, but that’s not the only challenge they’ll face tonight.
The team must cope without defenseman Kevin Bieksa, who’s out with a groin injury, according to Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy. It’s likely that Bieksa, 31, is still hampered by the same issue that sidelined him for two games in late February.
Injuries to players such as Bieksa have opened the door for Cam Barker to make his Canucks debut. The 26-year-old hasn’t lived up to the billing of being the third overall pick of the 2004 NHL Draft, but he’ll get his first chance to prove that he at least deserves to be an everyday player.
Many would argue that’s not the case.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5