Mar 2, 2013, 10:06 AM EDT
Things haven’t gone well for the San Jose Sharks since they started off the season going 7-0-0. When that winning streak ended, the Sharks have gone just 2-7-3 and fallen on hard times.
As team GM Doug Wilson tells Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com, problems are there with the team but nothing that can’t be fixed.
“We have to buy into doing the things that teams that are scoring and having success in this league are doing on a nightly basis, and we haven’t,” Wilson said.
“We’ve become a pass-first team in a shoot-first league.”
He’s not kidding about that as the Sharks’ offense has dried up. Patrick Marleau has taken heat for cooling off from his white-hot start, but the rest of the team isn’t potting goals either. During their brutal 12 game stretch they’ve scored just 15 goals and have been shutout twice. Six times they’ve scored just one goal. That’s not getting it done.
Wilson says they’re a “Jekyll and Hyde” team that he’d think was only Hyde if he hadn’t seen what they’re capable of. Scoring goals more regularly will help keep the ugly monster we’ve seen for the last month back in the bottle.
May 19, 2013, 9:33 PM EDT
Pittsburgh with the lead after two periods.
May 19, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
Big hit. Appeared clean, too.
May 19, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
Torres suspended for remainder of semifinal series.
May 19, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
May 19, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
Needs to be better for Game 3.
May 19, 2013, 7:31 PM EDT
Lighting it up right now.
May 19, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
Boston with three unanswered goals.
May 19, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
Rest of the night didn’t go so well.
May 19, 2013, 5:51 PM EDT
New York trailed 2-0 in first-round series with Washington.
May 19, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
Canucks’ captain scores twice. Where was that in the playoffs?
May 19, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
He escapes the league’s ire.
May 19, 2013, 4:14 PM EDT
Brad Marchand might want a do-over.
May 19, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
A pair of young players led the way.
May 19, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Their youthful trio will play once again.
May 19, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
He was a healthy scratch in Games 1 and 2.
May 19, 2013, 1:09 PM EDT
He could face league discipline.
May 19, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
He played just 15:37 in Game 2.
May 19, 2013, 11:23 AM EDT
The playoffs haven’t been kind.
May 19, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
A pivotal Game 3 awaits in Ottawa.
May 19, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
Veteran d-man kept it mellow.
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 2
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 13
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 26
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles