Mar 2, 2013, 10:06 AM EDT
Things haven’t gone well for the San Jose Sharks since they started off the season going 7-0-0. When that winning streak ended, the Sharks have gone just 2-7-3 and fallen on hard times.
As team GM Doug Wilson tells Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com, problems are there with the team but nothing that can’t be fixed.
“We have to buy into doing the things that teams that are scoring and having success in this league are doing on a nightly basis, and we haven’t,” Wilson said.
“We’ve become a pass-first team in a shoot-first league.”
He’s not kidding about that as the Sharks’ offense has dried up. Patrick Marleau has taken heat for cooling off from his white-hot start, but the rest of the team isn’t potting goals either. During their brutal 12 game stretch they’ve scored just 15 goals and have been shutout twice. Six times they’ve scored just one goal. That’s not getting it done.
Wilson says they’re a “Jekyll and Hyde” team that he’d think was only Hyde if he hadn’t seen what they’re capable of. Scoring goals more regularly will help keep the ugly monster we’ve seen for the last month back in the bottle.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)