Mar 2, 2013, 10:06 AM EST
Things haven’t gone well for the San Jose Sharks since they started off the season going 7-0-0. When that winning streak ended, the Sharks have gone just 2-7-3 and fallen on hard times.
As team GM Doug Wilson tells Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com, problems are there with the team but nothing that can’t be fixed.
“We have to buy into doing the things that teams that are scoring and having success in this league are doing on a nightly basis, and we haven’t,” Wilson said.
“We’ve become a pass-first team in a shoot-first league.”
He’s not kidding about that as the Sharks’ offense has dried up. Patrick Marleau has taken heat for cooling off from his white-hot start, but the rest of the team isn’t potting goals either. During their brutal 12 game stretch they’ve scored just 15 goals and have been shutout twice. Six times they’ve scored just one goal. That’s not getting it done.
Wilson says they’re a “Jekyll and Hyde” team that he’d think was only Hyde if he hadn’t seen what they’re capable of. Scoring goals more regularly will help keep the ugly monster we’ve seen for the last month back in the bottle.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)